How Smooth Is Your Idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can usually feel a car idle through the steering wheel more than hear it.

I put in urethane motor mount inserts and they helped greatly with shifting, throttle control, and wheel hop.
The idle didn't change, but you can feel every pulse, now.
Always a trade off with performance parts!

quote:

I can usually feel a car idle through the steering wheel more than hear it.

I don't feel any vibration through the steering wheel. I can hear the engine because I've removed the noise-dampening material from the hood and because my modified intake whistles somewhat.

I can't tell ya how many times I've turned the key in a running rental car because I couldn't tell that it was on. I NEED a little rumble or needle movement to let me know it's on. To me, it's far preferable to the screech of the starter on a running motor.

Smooth idle, 1957:

Purr-formance

grin.gif

My 2.2L Ecotec dohc 140hp is really quiet at startup. I don't feel any vibration either. I've read that these are really quiet engines as well. You can't hear my engine at 70mph like I can in my parent's buzzing ford focus...
tongue.gif

My Subaru engines aren't smooth. However, they have a reputation for lasting a long, long time. Smoothness, while it can signal a very well balanced engine, doesn't guarantee long life.

I have a 94 mazda protege and it idles like crap well not that bad really ,I think is the injectors since it makes a loud ticking noise (i have checked the HLA's and tested the injectors with a screwdriver) so i bought a prestone injector cleaner and hope it helps a bit.

My '01 Mazda 626 with a 2.5 V6 is incredibly smooth at idle. It's also smooth when cruising down the highway at 70-80 MPH. I can hear the engine pretty good when the A/C is on, but if it's not, its very quiet.

With my daughter's '05 Ford Focus (11,000 miles), the idle is virtually imperceptable.

With my wife's '95 Explorer (118,000 miles), it can barely be felt or heard at idle.

With my '76 C20 (10,000 miles on a '00 Vortec 350, Custom Deluxe with no insulation and an all-steel cab) the idle can barely be felt, but it can clearly be heard.

With my '83 F250 (111,000 miles on original 460, insulated cab, but 4" single Magnaflow Diesel exhaust
grin.gif
), it can be felt when cold, but when warm it smooths out, and due to the open exhaust, it can ALWAYS be heard.

With my little 1.8L 7AFE Toyota engine in my 95 Prizm the little engine shakes a bit between about 900 and 1,200 rpm. It has a warm idle somewhere in the range of 600-800 depending on whether or not it has a heavy electrical load or a/c running. Under it's warm idle it doesn't shake and has a little bit of a buzz to it but it doesn't have that rattlebox sound and feel to it when it's at a cold idle. I've changed my habits of leaving coins in the ash tray and pulled things out of the glove box as everything loose in the car rattles.

Funny thing is that it is nearly silent when standing outside next to the car no matter how fast the engine is going.

My 98 Sonoma with a 2.2L SFI will idle at 1000 rpm when first started in winter and go down to about 950 and stay there after a minute or so and stays there when warm, I always know when to add injector cleaner since it will get some slight blips in the idle, in the summer with the a/c going the idle is a bit higher also. If the car is OK the idle is smooth and gives me great confidence and reassures me I made a good choice in buying GMC.

NGK Iridium plugs improved idle a fair bit. Now have 80,000 kms on them and still excellent. Auto-Rx clean underway and idle/quietness improved a lot. Redline SI-1 and Techron with Shell 100 RON fuel keeps the fuel system clean which helps as well IMO.

Man,you guys must all be lucky when it comes to "dead" idles as I have never owned a car that was perfectly silent nor 100% vibration free at idle nor have I never been in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back