How “over” is too much over torque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never used a torque wrench on a lug nut . I tighten it until it is tight , but not so tight my Wife could not loosen it , if she had to change a flat & I was not available to do it for her .

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I have a torque wrench that i cant really read accruatly as the lines dont match up perfectly so....
If the spec is 76 ftlbs on my lugs would an accidental 90 be horrbly damaging?

For lugs, I wouldn't worry about it at all if you are going over a bit. 90 is fine, but you don't want to be under torquing though!
Millions of tire changes are done with the tech using the air gun so its "about right" and then using the torque wrench to make sure its not under torqued. I've never seen a tech back off a lug where the torque wrench clicked before the lug turned, to retorque it correctly.

I have a torque wrench that i cant really read accruatly as the lines dont match up perfectly so....

I doubt 90 ft-lbs would damage anything, however, what's more important is consistency, so if you have 76 ft-lbs on one lug and 90 ft-lbs on the other, then that's no good.

Wow, can't believe all the folks here that don't torque lug nuts!

On all the Porsche's I've owned, I always torque them in three increments.

On my Honda's, torque them in three increments also.

I always have Tire Rack hand torque ALL my cars.

On all the RV trailers I've owned I torque them by hand also.

You're not going to get much repeatability at high values on a nut that does not have a lubricated spot face.

you may want to get one that clicks also dont forget to add value if you use an extension. IIRC there is a table somewhere. for 3/8 and 1/2 extensions. if its just a 3 or 5" on a 1/2 in drive I wouldn't worry.

I would also recommend you use 6-pt impact sockets on those nuts.

I always torque it to 90 ft/lbs. Manual says 80 ft/lbs. No problem so far.

Tighter is better than loose.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

On my Honda's, torque them in three increments also.

I always have Tire Rack hand torque ALL my cars.

On all the RV trailers I've owned I torque them by hand also.

^^^. I love you! I do the same thing as you do. :))

Scott

I was a pro auto mechanic from 1965 till mid 1980s, and except for internal engine parts like rods, mains, and of course heads, I never used a torque wrench. Then I moved to OPE. Also never used a torque wrench except for the same things.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

For lugs, I wouldn't worry about it at all if you are going over a bit. 90 is fine, but you don't want to be under torquing though!
Millions of tire changes are done with the tech using the air gun so its "about right" and then using the torque wrench to make sure its not under torqued. I've never seen a tech back off a lug where the torque wrench clicked before the lug turned, to retorque it correctly.

I believe this is the wrong way to do it personally. No tires won’t fly off but it isn’t good for your brakes.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I have never used a torque wrench on a lug nut . I tighten it until it is tight , but not so tight my Wife could not loosen it , if she had to change a flat & I was not available to do it for her .

The last thing you want your wife to do on the open road. That's not being sexist that's being common sense. Not a good thing safety wise in more ways than one. I don't care if she changes tires for a living.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

Torque can be 50% wrong in determining bolt stretch. I have been wrenching for 55 years. I use a torque wrench on spark plugs.
On torque I go around the wheel 6 to 12 times..incrementally. Several passes on final tightening. the last pass or two in the REVERSE direction.Again no Torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: old1
I was a pro auto mechanic from 1965 till mid 1980s, and except for internal engine parts like rods, mains, and of course heads, I never used a torque wrench. Then I moved to OPE. Also never used a torque wrench except for the same things.

Agree 100%

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

Yah my cars are equipped with a basic tools to change a tire and they are all
I use on the BMWs,and every contact surface has a light coat of grease on it including, gulp, the lugs. Wife has instructions to drive car to a place of safety on the flat. But I want to be able to get the alloys off without drama. After having to remove wheels at home with a 4x4 post and a sledgehammer. I'm more concerned with getting a wheel off, not keeping it on.
27.gif

I always used a 3/8" 10" long ratchet to tighten lugs on my Cragar SS wheels, never came loose. On the other hand, these new wheel brake rotor combo's if you over tighten you'll warp the rotors and cause brake pedal pulse.

Originally Posted By: Al
.....I have been wrenching for 55 years.....no Torque wrench.

And my grandfather smoked unfiltered Camels most of his life and didn't die of lung cancer. (True story)

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
.....I have been wrenching for 55 years.....no Torque wrench.

And my grandfather smoked unfiltered Camels most of his life and didn't die of lung cancer. (True story)

Scott

Agreed, I borrow BIL's for my rare Head or bearing jobs Ive been smoking for 62 yrs. Presently on Chantix. Smoke of choice last 20 yrs is a hand rolled Bugler. The BMWs spinner has about a 10 cm (6") The last stage of my 3 stage ritual is a 90' arc, stomping on the crank with my 10 1/2 eees. 236 pounds divided by .5 feet = 118 ft lbs.
grin2.gif

I use torque wrench on lugnuts all the time. Seen too many overtorqued-breaks-off-the-next-time tight, and keeps the discs from warping due to uneven torque. Just what I do.

WyrTwister said:

The last thing you want your wife to do on the open road. That's not being sexist that's being common sense. Not a good thing safety wise in more ways than one. I don't care if she changes tires for a living.

sasilverbullet said:
Good point , thanks , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back