How old is too old for a vehicle to be reliable?

I remember those hideous K-cars, and I still get nauseated when I think about them. That period was perhaps the lowest point in American car manufacturing. šŸ¤®
I remember my dishonest landlord in 1987 had a wagon. I always thought even then figures.

I sued him in small claims and acted like Al Pacino in ā€œAnd Justice for All.ā€ The justice asked me if Iā€™m going for an Academy Award? šŸ˜‚

I won and he didnā€™t pay. Funny thing was I knew he worked in a shoe repair place, and had the sheriff serve him. Now he paid.

Iā€™ve been looking for a second car with an automatic transmission for a while now. Itā€™s not a good market as iā€™m sure you all know. Everything thatā€™s priced near what I want to pay either has a ton of miles or is ancient, or both.

At what age do you start not trusting a vehicle just because of the effects of aging such as drying seals, aging bushings, and so forth?

Late to this thread but my experience is time is the enemy, not necessarily mileage.

All the rubber seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc. will fail and leak eventually. At some point keeping a car on the road becomes a rolling restoration project or a labor of love.

Now, the guy who got 1MM miles on his Tundra doing hotshot work? He didn't put those miles on over 20 years so he beat the limited lifespan of the rubber parts that degrade.

Another problem with the vehicle after 20 years or so is parts availability, particularly things that are OEM only and there is no aftermarket substitute (worn weatherstripping, trim components, some body parts, model specific actuators, electronics, etc.). Eventually you are shopping at the junkyard for used parts.

People in the rust belt hit this time sooner as the cars disintegrate before they are worn out.

If it something that is collectible or you are just emotionally attached you can keep it going forever provided you put in enough time and effort to source the parts that fail. But for a daily driver? I cut bait at 15-20 years or a few hundred thousand miles.

Bad news is I am not sure the newer cars are built any better or more reliable, in fact they may be worse but at least the components are new.

No idea, but am thinking its not a stock exhaust. Actually 1971 was long ago, so Iā€™m pretty sure its not the factory exhaust. :ROFLMAO:
Back then Midas stocked all the parts, imagine that? My dad had a Sportwagon and he didnā€™t want to pay for the cost it was to restore. Well, we were away from home. So Midas said theyā€™d put a downspout on the first muffler. No more resonator.

I think it was louder which compelled my dad to get the rest of the system restored. This thread does jog the memory in a good way šŸ˜†

ā€œWhile Oldsmobile sold 33,387 Vista Cruisers in 1969, Buick produced 20,670 of their versions, attesting to better marketing on the part of Oldsmobile.ā€

This one lacks tilt wheel. Canā€™t find any pic/diagram of a 350 exhaust but it does seem to be on the left

Wonder what % had 350, 400, 455.
Weren't the 455 reserved f or the A frame (Olds 98, Buick Roadmaster/Electra and Pontiac Bonneville ?
The Olds Vista Cruiser was on the Delta 88 chassis, no?
ā€œWhile Oldsmobile sold 33,387 Vista Cruisers in 1969, Buick produced 20,670 of their versions, attesting to better marketing on the part of Oldsmobile.ā€
I sure don't know but the Oldsmobiles were above the Buick on the "GM ladder of status" so a luxury equipped Olds wagon was likely to sell better than a Buick wagon so eqqipped. This is a guess.
Also, the Roadmaster wagon (with Vista Cruiser roof windows) came out in the late '80's-early '90's. It was the A body and larger than the Vista Cruiser had been.

Weren't the 455 reserved f or the A frame (Olds 98, Buick Roadmaster/Electra and Pontiac Bonneville ?
The Olds Vista Cruiser was on the Delta 88 chassis, no?
I sure don't know but the Oldsmobiles were above the Buick on the "GM ladder of status" so a luxury equipped Olds wagon was likely to sell better than a Buick wagon so eqqipped. This is a guess.
Also, the Roadmaster wagon (with Vista Cruiser roof windows) came out in the late '80's-early '90's. It was the A body and larger than the Vista Cruiser had been.
Wikipedia only has 350 and 400 for the Buickā€¦also were there really 3 spd and 4 spd manuals at that time? In a wagon? They would be interesting. Like a Cayenne GTS with a manual. Iā€™d love itā€¦

Woah....manuals in that vintage of GM wagon? Again, don't know.
It'd be cool if they made
Personal note: Somebody in town had a Checker wagon. It was a good, large, stout, square (dare I say superior?) vehicle.

I liked it so much, it rendered the "regular wagons" of the time garbage in my opinion. I thought they were just cars with the trunk lid raised and 3 pieces of glass underneath.

My 08 f150 has 194k on it, and I drove it from indiana to California a few months ago. With what new vehicles are selling for, I can't afford to replace it. Sure I spend a little more on maintenance, but it sure beats a mortgage sized payment

How do the front cylinders get hot when they can pump air during VCM operation?
With VCM enabled, those front 3 cylinders do all the work, the rear back get's shut off.
The PCV system is inadequate and so the temperatures get extreme on the front 3 cylinder heads.
Most people with these Odyssey's get a thick golden varnish on the front 3 cylinder heads due to the oil getting cooked.

Short OCI's with full synthetic are recommended by several BITOG members who have worked on these engines.

With VCM enabled, those front 3 cylinders do all the work, the rear back get's shut off.
The PCV system is inadequate and so the temperatures get extreme on the front 3 cylinder heads.
Most people with these Odyssey's get a thick golden varnish on the front 3 cylinder heads due to the oil getting cooked.

Short OCI's with full synthetic are recommended by several BITOG members who have worked on these engines.
Thank you- I thought the front bank shuts off. I always check and clean that tiny PCV valve. Do 4-5 K OCI. Absolutelly no problems or repairs except routine maintenance- No VCMII, oil consumption or motor mount problems. No Muzzler
VCM II does 3, 4, or 6 mode,so different than VCM 1 which only does 3, 6. A heavy car such as Odyssey probably stays in 6 cyinder mode most of the time to move that weight.

Last edited:
Currently oldest vehicle I know is friends old Terrano (Pathfinder in North America) with 2.7 TD. It was all original until last year when engine ingested water. Now is swapped to newer 2.7 tdi. That thing will last next 20 years easily.

It seems to be impossible to get my 2010 Cobalts ac system to stop leaking , (whack a mole and bad aftermarket parts)
the wheels still go around fine.

Back