How often to change oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud

$50 Site Donor 2024
I have a 71 MGB that is only driven about 50 to 100 miles per year. How often should the oil be changed out. Right now I do a change along with filter, once per year. Using Castrol GTX 20-50.

Can we assume that the 50-100 miles is done all at once ..to like some event or rally type thing?

I'd fog the engine before putting it away for the year ..but reading your location... You have a two season climate ..hot and hotter...so I guess you don't lay it up for the winter.

I'd have a hard time doing a 100 mile OCI even if it was only once a year. I would think the engine just sitting around would have more impact.

Seeing how hot and humid it gets in AL, I'd be more concerned with corrosion forming on internal engine parts. Do you run it or turn over the engine regularly during the year?

Once a year seems fine if only to remove any condensation collected in the oil.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Seeing how hot and humid it gets in AL, I'd be more concerned with corrosion forming on internal engine parts. Do you run it or turn over the engine regularly during the year?

Once a year seems fine if only to remove any condensation collected in the oil.

Good point and something that should be addressed. I would make sure there is a fuel stabilizer in the gas, as well as a qt of MMO. Once that car is shut down and sitting for a long period of time the MMO will keep the combustion chamber from flash rusting. Something I wouldn't want to happen.

I have a 73 XKE Jag with a 12qt. sump. I change it every other year with synthetic 5W-40 Shell. I put between 500-1,000 a year on it.

I have several old cars so I change them on the even years 08-2010 etc. I do them all the same week so it is easy to keep up with. And put storage seal in the gas also.

40ford

You need some MIL spec oil that's specifically blended for equipment that sits more than it's used. Bruce mentioned some additive that is added to oil for this type of service.

i think you'd be fine changing the oil once a year w/ GTX. if it were my car i would start it and let it run a few minutes at least once a month or so.

The problem with running stored cars for only a few minutes won't let all of the moisture in the oil to evaporate and it builds condensation in the exhaust system which will cause it to rust through prematurely. If your going to start a stored vehicle let it run up to full operating temp before shutting it down.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You need some MIL spec oil that's specifically blended for equipment that sits more than it's used. Bruce mentioned some additive that is added to oil for this type of service.

AMSOIL AME heavy duty diesel&marine oil advertisment claims the oil will coat internal engine parts up to one year without running.

Thanks for all the good answers to my question. I do run the MG every month for about a 5 to 7 mile run. Just changed the oil for my yearly change. The old oil still looked like new, but I will stay with the yearly change out.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Thanks for all the good answers to my question. I do run the MG every month for about a 5 to 7 mile run. Just changed the oil for my yearly change. The old oil still looked like new, but I will stay with the yearly change out.

I do the same with my Austin Mini
grin2.gif

I'm no expert on this, but I'd make sure the engine gets up to full operating temperature (not simply by idling it either) and run it for 5 to 10 miles at good speed so the oil is good and hot. This will allow moisture and fuel vapors to burn off of the oil. I'd probably remove the oil filler cap for a while after shutting it off to allow any moisture to evaporate and put the cap back on while the engine is still warm (not hot). I would only do this if I planned to let the car sit for a few months without starting though.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Thanks for all the good answers to my question. I do run the MG every month for about a 5 to 7 mile run.

Why such a short run? If you're only driving it once a month don't you feel like taking it out for an hour or two every time you drive it? Don't the MG clubs in your area go on cruises or stuff like that? The guys in my area with Corvettes go on cruises all the time, it's not unusual for them to go from Toronto to Niagara Falls and back, adding over 100 miles in one day alone (and many of these guys do cruises like this two or three times a week in the summer!)

Change 1x each year. You might even consider using a marine oil like Pennzoil Marine 15w40 that has a high anti corrosion additive or a diesel HDEO with a high tbn like Delvac 15w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back