How often do you take oil to be recycled?

I have a big plastic container that will hold probably 3-4 jugs of oil. On occasion I will wait and take that to AutoZone or O'Reilly's.

Most of the time I take it right after my oil change in the 5 Qt jug I used to fill the cars with new oil.

You?
I thought they only took 5 quarts (or something like that) a day?

Have 5 of these 12 qt. containers, take my annual trip to O'Reillys to dump.
d8c1c658-45d2-44b8-ab32-de818bf42877_1.3449600c27668717e4e8f5dc07a3aa51.jpeg

Once a year for each Eurocar = ~2 gallons each for 3 cars.
Every other oil change on SD's stupid 2019 Honda Civic, which is 2 recycles a year by the 4 per annum Short Oil Life Monitor.

It all goes to the County recycle center.

I do my oil changes at my parent's house since the city will pick up used oil on garbage days. The city I live in does not offer such a thing and the nearest AutoZone acts as though I'm asking them to personally throw my oil away when all they need to do is point to the collection bin.

When I get 3 or 4 gallons, and feel like dropping off. Dunno, twice a year? 3 times?

Was way nicer when the town I lived in took waste oil, it'd go to the dump either right after changing, or the following weekend. I moved towns, and this one doesn't take waste oil (nor waste coolant). Oh well.

Don't forget to take your old filters, too. I dumped my plastic tool box full of filters yesterday.

I'm not so worried about the environment but if DIY-ers are tossing their filters it provides fodder for laws preventing at-home oil changes.

As with anything it only takes a few bad apples to give us all a bad name and push public sentiment against the shadetree or "non-certified" wrench turner

Don't forget to take your old filters, too. I dumped my plastic tool box full of filters yesterday.

I'm not so worried about the environment but if DIY-ers are tossing their filters it provides fodder for laws preventing at-home oil changes.

As with anything it only takes a few bad apples to give us all a bad name and push public sentiment against the shadetree or "non-certified" wrench turner
O'Reilly's takes filters. My AutoZone doesn't.

O'Reilly's takes filters. My AutoZone doesn't.
All the O'Reilly's and AutoZones around me take filters.

It's also happened at least twice at both places that new employees tell me they don't take filters. I have to inform them they're mistaken and please check with a manager. Turn over is high and I don't think people bring filters in that often so new employees aren't always exposed to it.

I can usually only fit 2 oil changes in my 16 quart container. I take it to the Auto Zone right by my house

3BC9DE77-EB6A-4192-9132-BA2C9CB67056.jpg

I have two 5 gallon closed stainless steel pails with pull out spouts that I got at a surplus store for 10 bucks each about 20 years ago. I fill both about every 8-12 months. County road maintenance shop is about 2 miles away and they take it year round to stock their waste oil heater. They always try to steal my pails, lol...

Back