How often do you flush your coolant (if you flush it)?

Drain rad. Fill with it with distilled water. Run. Drain rad, Fill it with distilled water. Run. Drain rad ( the coolant expansion tank drains with the rad on the Burb) Fill rad with pure antifreeze. Fill coolant jug with 50/50 mixed antifreeze.Seems to come out close to 50/50. I did it twice on my 2008 Burb. ( once every 5 years, with 5 year Dex-cool) . Thirteen years old with 210,000 miles. Original rad and water pump.

I have a 2009 BMW 328. BMW claims it's "lifetime fluid". There's no such thing as "lifetime fluid". The last time the coolant was flushed was in July of 2018 at 64k miles(by the PO). I am at 72k miles right now. I plan on doing a coolant flush later in the spring or summer. I'll probably stick with flushing it every 3 years (Since I hardly drive the car).

I watched a video on youtube where the guy drained the coolant from the drain plug and then ran the water pump while the coolant was still draining. Isn't the water pump running dry?? From what I am reading, a lot of folks drain it from the drain plug and then drain it from the water pump/thermostat hose.

Here's the video:

I dunno about no such thing as "lifetime". I drained 16 yo "lifetime" OE coolant from Porsche. Was like new and all visible passages like new, too. I asked myself "why am I doing this"- especially because it has 3 radiators up front and engine in rear. Super PIA to get it all out! Put Peak Global Lifetime back in - no $60 gallon Porsche coolant for me. LOL
Maybe its not lifetime, but close to it in my experience. Good luck

Last edited:
Five year coolants have been around a long time. There are now 10 year coolants such as Prestone 10 year. So, if you do one change at five years, then put in Prestone 10 year, that’s fifteen years. Will you still have your car?

I’m thinking that BMW’s definition of lifetime is 10 years. Factoid: Most BMW “Owners” lease them. Also, very few BMW’s are owned by their original “ owners “ after 10 years.

Last edited:
2-5 years was pretty standard depending on if it was an IAT, OAT or HOAT. Newer cars seem to spec longer fill intervals (from NEW). For example, Mercedes W212 (2010-2016) specs 15 years or 150k for the factory fill (G48).

BMW like most auto manufacturers do not give a hoot for the second owner. Best to just change the coolant at whatever interval suits yours fancy, but make sure that doesn’t exceed 10 years. Lifetime is a marketing term. ;)

Usually around the 5 year mark, unless some cooling system repairs (such as a thermostat) are required.
When my sons shop foreman (Ford dealership) replaced my camshaft synchronizer I had him replace the thermostat and flush/refill the coolant (@ 155K miles). The thermostat was right next to the C.S. so it made it very easy.

With the Sorento, it was drain and fill. First at ~60k miles, then every 30k after as Kia advised.

The CX-5 calls for it to be swapped at 120k miles. Time will tell on whether or not I feel comfortable leaving the coolant as is for quite that long. However shortest interval I'll do before the first swap would be 60k. Need to keep this vehicle for a long while so I'll be doing PM on it where it makes sense.

I do drain and fills. I used Zerex Asian on the 4Runner (I LOVE the hose attachment for non-messy drains!). Probably won't do anything again for 3 years once the diffs and transfer cases are changed out again (did them all in May).

I get the feeling I could run white wine in the 4.0's cooling system and no one would be wiser......(waits for the pummeling.)

I do drain and fills. I used Zerex Asian on the 4Runner (I LOVE the hose attachment for non-messy drains!). Probably won't do anything again for 3 years once the diffs and transfer cases are changed out again (did them all in May).

I get the feeling I could run white wine in the 4.0's cooling system and no one would be wiser......(waits for the pummeling.)
I haven’t done the coolant on my 2011 sienna. That’s because it’s sitting at 60k 🤣. But, I’ll probably do the coolant next week along with an oil change. I’m pretty sure the transmission fluid is also due at 60k miles

I go about five years on green and ten years with G05. I just do a drain and fill 50/50 along with distilled water. My cars are old and so far just a leaky water pump on one, everything else is original.

I test with strips. Change only as necessary. Best for the environment and the pocket book.

I did first coolant service at 120k per owners manual. It calls for coolant services every 60k or so many years after the 120k mile service. I’d say by the book is fine for most cars unless you’ve had contamination.

Drain/refill the radiator and overflow or degassing bottle in all cars every couple years. Always use aftermarket equivalent coolant. Never flush, never use flush chemicals, never need additives...

Thermostats/radiator caps also get changed in a time/mileage interval, if affordable and accessible and available.

I don't wait for failures. I prevent them.

I've only flushed cooling systems on older vehicles where the maintenance history is unknown, or systems that are known to be neglected. If the system has received regular maintenance and everything is working properly, there's no need to flush. Well, maybe even in a properly maintained system you should flush it every 15 years or so, maybe... but you still probably won't notice much difference. Ever.

Never a full on flush, I've never needed to. Most of the coolant gets drained and replaced with the 100k timing belt service on my two J-Series cars, which are the only ones I'm maintaining currently.

I try to do a 4-litre drain-and-fill annually, using pre-mixed coolant, with intention of keeping the coolant fresh and the system clean. So far, so good.

Back