How often do you flush your coolant (if you flush it)?

I have a 2009 BMW 328. BMW claims it's "lifetime fluid". There's no such thing as "lifetime fluid". The last time the coolant was flushed was in July of 2018 at 64k miles(by the PO). I am at 72k miles right now. I plan on doing a coolant flush later in the spring or summer. I'll probably stick with flushing it every 3 years (Since I hardly drive the car).

I watched a video on youtube where the guy drained the coolant from the drain plug and then ran the water pump while the coolant was still draining. Isn't the water pump running dry?? From what I am reading, a lot of folks drain it from the drain plug and then drain it from the water pump/thermostat hose.

Here's the video:

I drain my Accord about every 2 years. Very easy. I'm going to attempt to drain the Jetta every 2 years, but it appears that job will be more difficult so time will tell how often it gets drained. I would like to avoid using the dealer.

I just follow the owners manual. Then take it to have it drained and filled. I’ve never had a flush or coolant related problem in 50 years of driving. Just lucky I guess.

How long can 50/50 mixed coolant with distilled water last? I have a gallon of OEM BMW coolant mixed sitting in my basement :ROFLMAO:. It's a few months old.

I just follow the owners manual. Then take it to have it drained and filled. I’ve never had a flush or coolant related problem in 50 years of driving. Just lucky I guess.
Owners manual doesn't say anything other than "its lifetime fluid".

Don't know your definition of flush, but I do several drain and refills with distilled water, and change the thermostat every 50 - 60k miles. If you plan on keeping the vehicle or if it's used, do it.

Don't know your definition of flush, but I do several drain and refills with distilled water, and change the thermostat every 50 - 60k miles. If you plan on keeping the vehicle or if it's used, do it.
Basically a drain and refill honestly.

I change my coolant once a year on my car.

Yes I know its overkill, but 2 Gallons of Dex Cool costs $15 and it only takes 15 Minutes to do.

Apparently the best way to prevent HG failure on a Northstar is to change the coolant often. So that's what I do.

Sometimes i wait for the water pump to go.
But I find a reason to do it.
You do a coolant service so infrequently, make sure you use the right stuff.
Don't ask me how I know.

Usually around the 5 year mark, unless some cooling system repairs (such as a thermostat) are required.

Not as often as I should.
My Santa Fe is @ 25,000 miles/3 years old, maybe I will do it at 5 years?
The xB still has original coolant in it. Plan on doing it @ 60,000 miles (sometime this year, so almost a 9 year interval).
F150 had it done at engine replacement @ 170,000 miles, and 180,000 mile with intake manifold replacement, just over 200,000 miles and 5 years with same coolant. Maybe I will do a drain and fill next oil change?

Didnt have to flush my cooling system on my GTO the water pump developed a leak and I had to replace it then my craptastic plastic radiator end cap cracke so since I was already replacing the radiator I got new hoses so I had tovpretty much completely replace the coolant. If that handn't happened I usually do a compete drain and fill about every 5 years. Bumper to bumper traffic in the Texas summer really taxes a cooling system, so coolant maintenance is on my must do list.

Back