How often do you change the airfilter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yes, and he stated he had a 2002 Buick. Hmm, what kind of fueling system does that have? Dont know what you mean by to a point. If the O2 sensor reads rich it pulls fuel the next cycle. If it reads lean it adds fuel. Either it is correct or it adjusts. If it goes out of its adjustment capabilities, it pops a code and lights the infamous check engine light.

That's exactly what I meant without going into detail....the computer and O2s can only do so much before they "throw in the towel" and trip the CEL.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
That's exactly what I meant without going into detail....the computer and O2s can only do so much before they "throw in the towel" and trip the CEL.

And for the average car, that could been at 100K miles.

I change mine 1 a year. I've done the 30K service & they look horrible. Nevertheless, I change them when I do the 1 OCI.

When the gauge tells me:
See this post: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2010427#Post2010427

and this one
Grand Cherokee

The grand Cherokee may end up getting changed before the sensor says, since it has 29,000 km on it and at the end of the month I'll be doing an 8 day 3000 mile trip through the mountains of dirt, mostly between 9000 and 16,000 ft above sea level. At the very least I'll take a spare filter with me, since there will be no place on that trip that stocks them.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Good idea, you may want to take with you 1-2 quarts of oil too.

I usually carry a few spare items: pick, shovel, tow cable, compressor, tire plug kit, ATF, brake fluid, oil, water, gps, cooler, superglue, tools, etc.

10 years ago I split the transfer case of my 93 Grand Cherokee with a flying rock from a tire. Stopped the leak with chewing gum, then put epoxy over it, filled it and continued.

I clean my Airaid Filters on my Cars around 15k, Give or take a 1k or so.

On my van in which I do a yearly OCI, I change the air filter once a year. It's very dusty in Oklahoma and so best not to let it go too long. On the GS400 I have a K&N air filter.

Originally Posted By: Capa
On my van in which I do a yearly OCI, I change the air filter once a year. It's very dusty in Oklahoma and so best not to let it go too long. On the GS400 I have a K&N air filter.

K&N air filters are a poor choice for a dusty environment.

In normal non-dusty driving conditions can the amsoil EA filter really run 100k?

Last edited:
If you do the cleaning according to Amsoil specs then it will be able to last 100k miles. The OEM paper filter in my cars wasn't too dirty at 30k miles, they lasted up to 50k miles. Amsoil EA filter should lasted at least twice as long as paper filter.

I'm new to this whole debate, up until now I have normally just had it changed every other 3k oil change at the quick lube basically, now I realize I've been getting ripped off. If I can get 20k out of an oem, or paper filter from autozone I'd be more than happy.

I changed the Malibu's filter at 41k last time and it could have gone longer. I'm thinking 60k or even 75k will be possible on our car.

The van eats about 50% more air, so I change that one every 30-40k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back