How often do you change the airfilter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the pleasure of owning a 2002 Chevy Impala 3.4L. That has to be one of the worst intake and airbox layouts I've seen on any vehicle. It's such a pain in the butt to change that air filter that I only open the airbox once evevy 10k miles and I change the filter whether it needs it or not. After reading these posts, I'm thinking about extending the interval to 15k miles. I do drive mostly highway in non-dusty conditions. Sounds like I'm fairly safe.

2008 Jeep Patriot, changed it the first time at 25000kms, which was also 1 year of driving. It was pretty dirty, so I will likly do it every 6 months or 15000kms depending on the time of year.

Probabaly going to do it once a year or less. It is not very dusty around here, and during the winter, there is no/very little of anything at all. I love the fresh/crip air of the northeast and the mountains. For $8 though, once a year or so seems reasonable.

Changing engine air filters too often is not good for your engines.

Quote:
"Engine air filters are designed to actually increase their efficiency by using this initial layer of dust as an added filter layer. Initial filter efficiency is usually approximately 98% but increases to more than 99% by the end of the service life of the filter. Therefore, changing an air filter before the useful service life is achieved can result in premature engine wear."

Section 2.3 on page 14: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

I must live in an area with very little dust in the air. I check my filters once a year and they still look fairly new. Consequently I haven't changed the filter in the suburban for 5-6 years, and it still looks good. The corolla filter looks brand new, at 48,000kms, I saw a single small blade of grass on it once but thats it, still bright white media. Intakes upstream from the filter are as clean as a whistle.

I guess another question surfaces, how long does filter media last when encountering very little dust, but big temperature swings +35C to -40C in the period of a year? Does it decompose over time?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Changing engine air filters too often is not good for your engines.

Quote:
"Engine air filters are designed to actually increase their efficiency by using this initial layer of dust as an added filter layer. Initial filter efficiency is usually approximately 98% but increases to more than 99% by the end of the service life of the filter. Therefore, changing an air filter before the useful service life is achieved can result in premature engine wear."

Section 2.3 on page 14: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

There is no possible way to statistically measure the difference in meaningful engine life between 98% and 99% filter efficiency...

Change every 30-50k or sooner in dusty conditions. Since 98% of vehicles on the road are equipped with MAF sensors, there is no MPG reasoning for early/often filter changes.

Last edited:
It's not MAF or no MAF. Speed density cars like my TL also see no mpg change with a plugged filter. It comes down to any modern fuel injected engine vs carburetor. Speed density sees an increase in manifold vacuum which is the same as having the throttle slightly more closed.

I just checked mine at 25K and I'm glad I did. It's not dirty, I'm sure it would go another 25K but the gasket material is cracked and about to come apart. Going to the dealer tomorrow. So far, I've never seen a filter as nice as the OEM Acura stuff. It's like a normal filter on one side and oiled filter on the other.

That's my argument as well. With fuel injected engines and O2 sensor feedback regulating the air/fuel mixture, a dirty air filter only affects top end performance. If you don't need that "edge", there's nothing wrong with getting your full money's worth from the filter.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
That's my argument as well. With fuel injected engines and O2 sensor feedback regulating the air/fuel mixture, a dirty air filter only affects top end performance. If you don't need that "edge", there's nothing wrong with getting your full money's worth from the filter.

Agreed. I don't put nearly as much weight behind airfilter changes as I once did. As long as the media stays in good shape, I don't have a problem running it for a long time. I use WOT once a month maybe and this particular car has more media area than it needs so it would have to be pretty dirty to affect wide open performance. I like how many people will post the 2-5mpg jump going from a clean stock filter to a drop in K&N.

I change mine every time the restriction indicator trips.
In the first 76,000 miles, that would be ... never. However, at 7 years I'll dump it just because the gaskets and adhesives don't last forever.
I very much agree that changing/inspecting too often is not a good thing. Reinstalling a used filter creates a chance to introduce dirt to the clean side of the housing.
BTW: I live in an area where sand blowing over roads needs to be cleared by front end loaders in the winter. I have plenty of chances to pick up dirt.

depends on how many off road excursions i go on in dusty conditions or how much stuff is in the air when the wind blows. every 4 months or every 6k miles, which ever first

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: Kestas

Agreed. I don't put nearly as much weight behind airfilter changes as I once did. As long as the media stays in good shape, I don't have a problem running it for a long time. I use WOT once a month maybe and this particular car has more media area than it needs so it would have to be pretty dirty to affect wide open performance. I like how many people will post the 2-5mpg jump going from a clean stock filter to a drop in K&N.
What really should be the question at this point is how far can the ECM compensate for the change in the air flow restriction?

Get a Filter Minder, then you will not have to guess whether your filter needs replacement or not.

AFAIK, a Filter Minder can be moved from one vehicle to another, And it doesn't have but one moving part, so it ought to last for decades. About $25-32 at various online vendors.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Get a Filter Minder, then you will not have to guess whether your filter needs replacement or not.

AFAIK, a Filter Minder can be moved from one vehicle to another, And it doesn't have but one moving part, so it ought to last for decades. About $25-32 at various online vendors.

$21 all day long at your local NAPA. They will get it within 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back