How often do you balance your wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever they start to transmit thorugh the steering wheel.

My dad's 4runner was recently serviced becasue of the front pass. tire was unbalanced. It would go through the steering wheel where the steering wheel would wobble to the right, to me indicating front alignment problems. I looked at the tire and one of the weights fell off (can tell where all the brake dust collected). This is a very old tire (6-8 y/o) where it started cracking and needed a lot of weights. Finally bringed it to MIdas, where they changed the tire, tire balance, and changed the idler arm.

when i get them rotated. the guy that does them for me understands that i expect him to use stick on weights, and that they are to have tape put over them after. he usually gets a 6 pack after he is done. with the wheels on my car costing so much, he knows that i refuse to allow pound on weights.

Has anyone here had experience with balancing solely using balancing compound? I have a manual tire changer at home, and with a box of compound I can eliminate all trips to the mechanic/lube shop other than for large 6-hour-plus repairs. They would also eliminate the need for rebalancing after the tire shifts on the rim - essentially a lifetime balance.

Reading the literature available at Magnum, it seems as if low profile tires will not spread the compound enough for it to work without a separate static balance, but we have no low profile tires (and do not plan on ever running them, pa-tooey!). They should be fine in our 75-series SUV tires, but I am worried about the 185/65R14 passenger tires.

I have my tires balanced and rotated about once a year. that usually means about 6 or 7 thousand miles per vehicle.

For $30 to buy the balancer, and $15 worth of stick-on weights, one can static-balance their wheels anytime they want.

If you take care of six cars as I do, this can make a lot of sense.

The tires were on 88,000 miles on my 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 and NEVER balenced them.
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
Couldda went 95k or so and still be legal. They were only rotated twice. They were wearing great.

There was no reason to spend the money!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back