How much to sell my CR-V for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graduation is coming up and soon I will be taking my certificates to become a union electrician. I will be needing a vehicle with more power and cargo space as I'll probably be hauling a lot of tools and stuff. Also, I want a car without a bunch of computerized crap that I can actually do simple repairs on without having to pull off the entire front clip.

I want to sell my CR-V and get an old truck or a 4th gen Camaro literally anything that isn't a 4-cylinder import. The car has 210,xxx miles and I am the 2nd owner.

Parts that have been replaced (too many to list, but here's the major ones I can remember..):

Steering rack & pinion
power steering pressure and return lines
VTEC solenoid gasket/mesh
starter
upper & lower intake manifold gaskets were done with the starter replacement also..

Recently got a new belt and belt tensioner,
has new struts all the way around
recently got new coil packs
spark plugs
and transmission fluid got changed last week..

The car is also on it's 3rd A/C compressor and all the Takata recalls have been completed, at least until someone else gets shrapnel in the face and they pull it for the 5th time.

Upgrades the car would be coming with:

Custom Electric Service 250 amp alternator,
1/0 gauge cable from alternator to battery
24F battery mod
CompuStar 2-way alarm and remote starter
Kenwood eXcelon stereo
Fosgate Punch door speakers
all the windows are tinted to the legal limit as well.

I'm going to just abandon all the wiring from my subwoofer install in place and pull the fuse so the car would be coming pre-wired for a sound system..

Other bonuses:

The seats are already stained beyond restorability and there's plenty of food embedded in the carpet, so no need to feel bad if the kids make a mess.
lol.gif

Recently had the steel wheels re-painted, and got the headlight housings restored and looking like new.

I was thinking of asking $4,500 for it. What would y'all think I should let it go for?

Congrats on the accomplishment!!!

A few pictures are worth more than a thousand words.

Did I miss where you mentioned the model year?

Also, so long as the CRV is reliable now I'd keep it until you're well established. I'd hate for you to spend more money on or take out a loan on a newer vehicle, only to not be able to find a job or be laid off soon after.

If the economy tanks and your union needs to lay off personnel, you'll be junior and the first to go.

Look in craigslist and see what they are selling for. Start a little high. I have found when you hit the magic number of what its worth it sells.

For your new vehicle, if you do not mind pulling off the cab to work on the engine I suggest a Ford pickup with a PSD.

Look up "private sale value" from KBB, NADA, etc and find a middle ground. Next look up what people are listing them for on Craigslist. Remember, the price it's listed for isn't always what it will sell for - it will be less.

All of the repairs and 'upgrades' really add no value to someone else. It's a car with 200,000+ miles. Repairs and maintenance are just part of the game. 9 out of 10 people don't care about the audio system parts. No offense....

Just quickly looked at KBB and the price you mention - $4500 - is pretty fair. The higher mileage knocks $1000 off what is average mileage for that year. They say $4800 as the median price. Ask $5000 and take $4500 if offered.

Guessing you'll get $3500 - $4000 for a base CRV with that mileage on it.

No one cares what parts are in it nor your stereo/alternator etc at that price point.

Price it wherever you want.

Your local used vehicle market will help you decide if it's too high.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

You price it high, all you are doing is chasing people away, there is already enough mainly the mileage that will already stop people in their tracks. And with the economy looking the way it could possibly be heading, take what you can get within reason and move on.

If I see a vehicle overpriced such as this, listed with all the extras, I would not even bother, as I think right away this person is going to be expecting to much and/or hard to negotiate with, because they assume all these extras add value to vehicle and want money back.

Sounds like you have the perfect work vehicle. If it were me, I'd wait until I had enough cash in hand to buy a new or newer vehicle.

Life is good. Life without payments is even better.

Been more than a decade since I privately sold a car (think I used Auto Buyer), so what do I know. At that time Kelly had offered (high) prices and you could print out a pseudo-Monroney page to put on the window. I always used Kelly as the bargaining and the much lower Edmunds as the actual sales price. Think there's a lesser spread than there was in 2011.

Originally Posted by domer10

You price it high, all you are doing is chasing people away, there is already enough mainly the mileage that will already stop people in their tracks. And with the economy looking the way it could possibly be heading, take what you can get within reason and move on.

If I see a vehicle overpriced such as this, listed with all the extras, I would not even bother, as I think right away this person is going to be expecting to much and/or hard to negotiate with, because they assume all these extras add value to vehicle and want money back.

Your post indicates that it's priced too high...that's fine, but that's just your opinion.
Who know's, OP may find someone who's willing to pay closer to his asking price.
21.gif

Your post indicates that it's priced too high...that's fine, but that's just your opinion.
Who know's, OP may find someone who's willing to pay closer to his asking price.
21.gif

Nope, I don't know what he is asking.....I'm just saying you do not want to chase away, or people to even not even inquire. When I see something that is priced far to away from what it should be, I do not even bother....because in my experience, it turns out they always expect end up being impossible to bargain with.

Set the price within reason and it will be more appealing. It's not a sellers market right now.

Set the price within reason and it will be more appealing. It's not a sellers market right now.

What your saying is just your opinion,...nothing more, nothing less.

Let OP decide what it's worth and take it from there.

What your saying is just your opinion,...nothing more, nothing less.

Let OP decide what it's worth and take it from there.

Yup, your right.....OP can post it at whatever he wants, and people can scroll on and pass on it all they want as well, if they see a ridiculous price.

If your motivated to sell, post it closer to what you are willing to part with it at, plus or minus a few hundred.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ecotourist
Sounds like you have the perfect work vehicle. If it were me, I'd wait until I had enough cash in hand to buy a new or newer vehicle.

Life is good. Life without payments is even better.

Have to confess, as I read this all I could think was "you have the perfect vehicle already". Remove the back seat for some extra room and call it a day...

CRV's will fetch stupid money. I sold a 2004 for a friend, albeit low miles (120K), for $4,500. Mechanically it was great, exterior and interior were 7 out of 10, but I did a good detail on it. I was in shock by the number of people trying to throw money at me for it. Sold on CL in a couple of days and I probably could have gotten 5K.

Non-car people are in love with Hondas (I'm not anti-Honda, but I was shocked by the demand).

If you want to actually sell it, take the time to detail it thoroughly and take good photos.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
All of the repairs and 'upgrades' really add no value to someone else. It's a car with 200,000+ miles. Repairs and maintenance are just part of the game. 9 out of 10 people don't care about the audio system parts. No offense....

The upgrades are a mixed bag, but most people should see evidence of maintenance, including proof/receipts and disclosure of vehicle history, as worth more than a vehicle where the owner just tells you they changed the oil "on time". Even though I'd DIY all the listed repairs, that they were done recently seems worth at least $350 to me. That's barely more than parts costs if that... as long as fair quality parts were used.

Last edited:
+2, the stereo says "teenager abused". I'd make it all disappear back to stock. People just play music on their phones now anyway.

I would put the repair records in an envelope and not open said envelope unless specifically asked. People want a car that's been "maintained" not "repaired" because a "repaired" one is "disloyal". Stupid logic, but it's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back