How many use air tools at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have manually wrenched on cars for over 40 years. I just discovered the compressor my step dad gave me came with air tools. I can't wait to use them and make work quicker and easier.
Do you regularly use air tools at home or use manual tools?

Last edited:
I caved back in 2013. and got a compresor.

Rattle gun is really handy.

I caved in 2017 and got a garage that I could work on cars, on a flat concrete surface, fully covered.

I'd rate the latter over the former...but a compressor and air tools is a good thing (air die grinders and the like I can't feed)

I have air tools but am usually not in a hurry when working on the car so I don't use them much. I did acquire a tire changer so I have to fire up the compressor for that.

With cordless getting so good, If I started over I would go that route.

Right angle air powered ratchet is very handy on lot of automotive wrenching. I broke down and bought one after seeing that the Ford 7.3 had 17 bolts holding the water pump on in a very tight space. Small LPHV paint gun gets plenty on work too.

Yes, I have the HF 10 gal hotdog and some of their air tools. I probably have about $200 in it. I can't imagine not having them. I love the air chisel. I think the battery power ratchet tools though are superior. Even many pros are switching to them, but they are expensive for a DIY. Then again what shops charge even for the smallest things you are probably still ahead of the game.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have manually wrenched on cars for over 40 years. I just discovered the compressor my step dad gave me came with air tools. I can't wait to use them and make work quicker and easier.

I would love to have a compressor large enough to really run air tools, instead, I have and really like my cordless impact wrenches. I am sure if your compressor and tools are up to the task you will look forward to using them, then admire how much faster and easier the job was with an impact wrench, air or good cordless. Once you get set up with an impact and sockets you will never want to be without one and wonder why you waited so long to get one.

Last edited:
As noted already, the common ones that are handy are a good impact ( I would guess whatever came with your compressor is not very good), air ratchets, air hammer, air gun and tire inflator.

I use them all the time now. My only regret is I wish I would have started doing so about or so 40 years ago.

I'm a semi mechanic and use air tools at work and at home. Do yourself a favor and get a butterfly impact wrench. It's my favorite air tool. I much prefer using a butterfly impact than an air ratchet whenever possible.

Last edited:
Another air user here. Front ends fly apart with them.

What I like though are the little battery powered drill-impacts. Great for zapping off all the 10mm headed fasteners on wire looms, engine covers, cowls, fender liners, and the "dumb stuff" that interferes with getting to the real work.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
As noted already, the common ones that are handy are a good impact ( I would guess whatever came with your compressor is not very good), air ratchets, air hammer, air gun and tire inflator.

Got a ratchet, die grinder and impact. Got a 4 strut and lower control arm job to do on the wife's car. Should make it a lot easier and faster. Now if I only had a garage!

Originally Posted By: ZZman

I have a large 60 gallon two stage compressor and many air tools.

But using cordless tools more often.

I started using air tools last year. And now realize I should have bought a 1/2" 20v lithium battery impact instead. The time it takes to crack lugs or nuts means loss of air, power, overheating compressor,etc. I know, lots to know using air tools. But thats the point. To much for me to manage with air tools in the garage vs new powerful lithium hammers out there.

I use air tools. I'm stubborn and refuse to convert to cordless. I don't own a single cordless tool. Right now I'm scraping by with a small 4 gallon compressor, but I have a 60 gallon Quincy compressor that I'm going to hook up, and I'm going to plumb my whole garage with air lines and service drops.

I don't use them every day but do enjoy them. The battery tools are really handy also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back