How many speakers do YOU have?

2015 Lexus GS350 base system 12 speakers one of which is a sub. I really enjoy the sound but it truly depends upon the source. Audio DVDs are amazing, Sirius XM average, Amazon Prime streaming with HD option is close to dvd quality. I listen to “classic rock” (I hate that term, makes me feel older that I already am) jazz and classical. Took a bit of tweaking the balance, fade, and base/mid/high frequency levels. Plenty of volume when needed with no rattles.

2021 MB GLC 300 base system. 8 speakers. Mediocre at best regardless of source. No adjustment has made it great. Went from bad to average. Fortunately my wife likes it.

7 as of today. Had the new Rockford Fosgates installed in the 4 doors and the new
10 in under seat subwoofer installed under the front passenger side seat.
And of course the 2 tweeters up on the top corners of the dash. Left the factory ones in
because they sound great.
It rocks!
Absolutely sounds amazing. So glad I purchased this setup.

A little googling tells me the Mercedes S-class has an available 4D (seat vibrators are the fourth dimension) Burmester audio system with 31 speakers. I think that's the champ?

I think number of speakers is possibly used for marketing purposes like number of megapixels in digital cameras a few years ago.
The new BMW i7 (Full EV version of new 7 Series) can be specced with 39 speakers apparently.

I assume it’s a fairly expensive option as I believe my G12 745Le has 16 speakers with the standard Harmon Kardon system.

I have driven the new i7 but it was a short test drive and I never got to try out the stereo

My first car was a 74 Charger with a AM radio and one speaker in the middle of the dash. That's progress for you.😁

I still have only one center speaker, but most of the music I listen to was recorded in mono anyway, soooo.....

I think car audio is way overrated and blown out of proportion these days - over 30 speakers(!) jeesus.
But on the other hand, there is no other single group out there, to which you can sale more stupid high $$ snake oil stuff than audiophiles and hifi-freaks, so why shouldn't they?

Last edited:
4 Speakers in the Scion. First car had 2, but only when I hit a bump, most of the time only 1 worked.

Modern sound systems are amazing. I don't follow the aftermarket stereo industry, but I don't think it's doing very well with the high quality of sound systems and the fact its not really possible to upgrade an infotainment system.
Pioneer and others are having to unfortunately adapt to supplying oem components. In the late 90s and early 00s it was awesome to pick up a car audio magazine and read through all of the tests and reviews. Just like home audio it seems like car audio is going to have to go more premium to stay relevant.

Had to look up my wife's. We have 3 cars, one has 13, one has 11, and my wife's 10. I guess you could say they are all "premium," although the 13 was standard, and became optional in later years of the same car. The laughable thing is I just junked my 98 Maxima and that may have had the best sound, with 6 speakers.

Here's my wife's, where I found the description on Crutchfield, with instructions on how to upgrade the factory speakers. They said to leave the sub alone. :ROFLMAO:

This is not a job for a DIY car audio enthusiast. In fact, even if you're having work done by a professional, replacing this subwoofer should not be attempted under any circumstances. Use it if you can, bypass it if you must, but definitely leave it where it is.

My 2021 Genesis GV80 has Lexicon system with 21 speakers and 1080 watts. I really enjoy it.

10 speakers in the giulietta:

speakers + tweeters in 4 doors, a sub in the boot and centre fill speaker in the dash. I'm quite happy with that, especially that I can't tell the sub is there unless it's not.. totally blends in and that's often an issue I found

My replacement giulietta has 8 speakers (or 6, need to check the rear doors) without the Bose Amp. The headunit is now a uConnect 6.5". It's underpowered and only really plays radio satisfactory. Most of the power seems to be sent to the front door speakers, nearly nothing to the rear.

Might have to fit an amp and some better speakers.

Just swapped out the head unit and speakers in the 97 Yukon. The old ones were bad. Now it bumps. Went with a Sony head unit with built in 45w rms/100w peak amp which is about double the average head unit. 4 speakers is fine!

Now the Volt ugh what a bad stock system. I think it has 4x door speakers with tweeters on the A pillars. But I won’t be doing any upgrades to it as I suspect it’s a system designed for efficiency and I want it to stay that way.

Attachments

• B0D364F0-C027-4272-A09B-907E98568832.jpeg
    B0D364F0-C027-4272-A09B-907E98568832.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 3
2020 Tundra:

Dash: 2.75” Audiofrogs x 2
Front door: 6.5” two-way Stegs x 2
Rear door: 6.5” two-way Hertz x 2
Custom box with 10” KENWOOD Excelons x 2
All powered by an Arc Audio 1100.5

KENWOOD DMX 1037S head unit

I had Infinity in a 1999 Intrepid and have Boston Acoustics in a 2007 Grand Cherokee. Good systems but nowhere near 20 speakers.

That was right before they started adding a ton of speakers. I had a 2015 Grand Cherokee with a 19 speaker H/K system. Not 20, but darn close!

Btw, do any of the high end audio cos. really make the car audio, or is it licensed and they get a royalty? For example, McIntosh can be found in the Wagoneer products. There were also in a LL Bean Subaru. At home, McIntosh is six figure + hifi system. Is it really the same?

Our cars are Harmon Kardon, Bose, and Mark Levinson...is that all royalties lol

7 in basic Honda Pilot, 2 per row and 1 subwoofer

10 speakers Acura ILX

I honestly feel like more speakers do not sound better. Seems like decent sound isolation and half way decent audio with 2 speakers per row and potentially a subwoofer matters more.

A special name branded to system seems to have little relevance to sound quality .

Back