How many lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tis true. Takes a bit of trial and error.

I've found the Chinese knockoffs of the "JW Speaker" LED assemblies to be pretty excellent. Cheap too.

Can't say much about the rest of them.

I've gotten sick of getting out of my modern cars and into my older ones to find I can't see at night. So I'm figuring it all out for all of them.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
If you are not getting flashed....your fogs fit into this category --- > Many of today's vehicles have front fog lamps. What good are they? The quick and correct 2-word answer: Not much!

That's a nice meme but since Picard, Riker, and Worf have never driven a car, I don't put a lot of stock in their opinion of fog lights.
grin2.gif

And I know that I'll never be as smart as you with your infinite knowledge of how my vehicles' lights work, but to me my OEM fog lights on my truck make a huge difference in seeing the shoulders and poorly painted lines where I live. And since I'm the one driving it, not you; I value my own opinion on the effectiveness of my vehicles' lighting more than yours or an article you quoted. Thanks for the input though.

Hard to beat a quality pair of 7" real "E-code" H4's, with 'quality' being Cibie or Hella, and well designed fog lights, both aimed and used properly...

Seriously, I've driven a number of newer vehicles over the past few weeks and, with some exceptions, few beat the above setup IMHO.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Hard to beat a quality pair of 7" real "E-code" H4's, with 'quality' being Cibie or Hella, and well designed fog lights, both aimed and used properly...

Seriously, I've driven a number of newer vehicles over the past few weeks and, with some exceptions, few beat the above setup IMHO.

^^THIS!!!!^^ Right on the money. When I was young the 7" tungsten sealed beams on the cars I had then were entirely satisfactory, helped because most other cars had similar setups, being blinded by oncoming traffic was a rare event, the police found it was good indication the driver might be drunk.
Then I upgraded to halogens, and found it a noticable improvement. BUt the trend to hid, super bright led and other mobile searchlights has made the roads more hazardous imo.

Claud.

That cartoon hits the mark. But instead of a huge search light, small "laser pumped" auxiliary lamps will soon be available to scorch the retinas of other drivers. PIAA has one in the works.

http://www.piaa.com/laser-light.aspx

Quote:
...Our new Laser Light is a highly efficient lighting technology with an extreme beam range that doubles that of lights containing conventional technology...The PIAA Laser light has an array of eight laser diodes that produce a ultra-sharp, long range beam. Using our industry first Reflector Facing Technology, the laser diodes are aimed at a multi-surface reflector, then color filtered through a phosphor plate and finally passed through a micro-domed projector to produce a near perfect pencil beam pattern. Availability and pricing are not yet determined...

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: grampi
What's going on with all the lights on the front of vehicles these days? Apparently, the days of a pair of headlights, and a pair of corner markers (parking lights) are gone...

Have you seen the latest F250 and F350 pickups? They come factory equipped with a quad halogen low/high beam. All four headlamps are lit simultaneously to get a low beam or high beam pattern. Ford calls it Quad Dual Beam.

Yeah … National truck of this county … they are outrageous … it’s like a football field lightning system … more east/west than north. They blind me on a regular basis … yet driving alongside I’d take HID projector beams any day ...
Man, bad enough all the mismatch aftermarket bulbs/housings and Ford brings this red neck technology?
(Check out Dodge /Sylvania projectors before some of you born)

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Could not resist...

No joke I have used my spot light to do that very thing, but it has to be exceedingly obnoxious for me to break it out such as very bad PnP HIDs or a bro-truck with a light bar that is on..
Though in one case I lit up a semi driver with it with just his high beams, but that was because he was right behind me and I can aim it backwards. I just flicked it on-off-on-off and he switched his high beams off.
Very useful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I do the same thing. I just point mine at them in my mirrors. Light refraction guarantees it goes to where you aim it.

Reflection, I think.

(Or I don't understand.)

Wasted time on Bing yesterday ~ nothing … one hit on Google and found it … was thinking Dodge/Sylvania came out with this and BIL had on a 69 model

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I do the same thing. I just point mine at them in my mirrors. Light refraction guarantees it goes to where you aim it.

Reflection, I think.

(Or I don't understand.)

I actually mistyped reflection and spell check did the rest. Lol.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wasted time on Bing yesterday ~ nothing … one hit on Google and found it … was thinking Dodge/Sylvania came out with this and BIL had on a 69 model

I had a 69 Polara that came with that option. Amazing that technology stayed on the shelf for another 2 decades for the most part.

Refraction - perhaps in the fog I drove in before daylight today … reflection is thinking about the 1-1/2 hours of headlights I just endured … very dark and that made it worse …

I could certainly tell the projectors tonight … vs the nasty flood lights on some …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back