How many change oil, no matter what weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have changed oil in the dead of winter with snow on the ground laying on a piece of cardboard.

Prefer not too but if I have to I do it.

Now a days I take it to our warehouse and pull it in there in winter, which is what I will be doing once I get back from my trip to Louisiana

I built the house I live in and part of the construction was R-40 in the garage ceiling and R-13 in the walls with insulated garage doors. (they don't cost much more). In the dead of Winter when it is 10-20F outside if I pull two warmed up snow covered cars in on Friday night by Saturday morning they will be dry and most of the water evaporated from the heat soak. I have an exhaust hose I run under the partially open smaller door so I let my truck warm up in the garage and then change away. The temps barely get below 32 in there and bottled water or soda has never frozen out there. So 30 minutes out there is no big deal.

Last edited:
Dont have a closed in garage, and up here in eastern canada it can get mighty cold during the winter months but i change my oil rain or shine, hot and humide, or snowy and blowing cold weather doesnt stop me!

I generally try to change it in oct-nov so I dont have to do it midwinter.. I will.. I just dont like to.

I change no matter what weather, as a matter of fact I'm due for a change now. I have really put the miles on this fill of GC, and the weather is calling for cold temps here highs in the 30's and rain. Today it's in the high 50's so I will change it a bit early..here in Georgia it's not hard at all to catch a some what warm day, and I don't mind waiting a few extra mile, or doing it a bit early as I can catch it in a 500 mile time it's no problem.

If need be I have the option of changing in a heated basement, however more times than not it's easier to just put the ramps on the carport, and change it taking about 1 hour total, with the majority of that time spent in the house warm, while oil is draining out in the cold.. Heat is not as bad.

Isn't it funny that there are such differences in outlook on weather? I anticipate December so I can change the fluids in the cool weather. In fact, I try to calculate changes so I don't need to do so much in the summer months due to the extreme heat.

I've been changing oil on all my cars (wife's, daughters' etc.) by mileage, regardless of weather, but I wait until I have a dry day and a snow-free driveway. Otherwise, the darn ramps move when I drive up them!

BTW, it's minus 15 degrees, currently, in Ottawa, ON.
Craig

Been out in the garage most of today, a high of 35. Cut up the STP SO3950 and found out it is no better than a Purolator. Replaced it with a Pronto PO4619. I was quite pleased to realize it is a full half inch longer than the STP and Purolator. I was concerned about using a cheap, off brand filter with what I am hoping will be a long run with Mobil 1. Maybe I got more for my money than the more expensive ones. Just like I did when I switched from Fram to ST. I am waiting for the last drop of Mobil 1 to drip out of the bottle.

I pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves. It doesn't have lifters. One end of the rockers rides on the SOHC, and the one on the valve stem. The thing hasn't sounded quite right for some time after one highway trip. Kind of more sewing machine noise. A couple of the valves were a little tight.

Haven't gotten to the rest. I think I will leave Pennzoil YB in the transmission. It leaks and besides, I am not sure synthetics are good for syncros.

I plan or exercising the generator too and then replacing the factory fill with the Mobil 1.

Packed up oil samples from both the car and truck for Blackstone.
I worked on making a sample sucker today out of an empty caulking tube. I think it will work if I adapt it down to small enough tubing.

I just changed ours yesterday in 33 degrees. My parents are on vacation, but my brother every year hauls his [censored] into both garages (though he has two on his own land) so I find the best non rainy or snowy day so I can do it here in front of our parking spot. Then I won't have to do it again until April or May.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I generally try to change it in oct-nov so I dont have to do it midwinter.. I will.. I just dont like to.

+1

And truth be told, if I absolutely have to change it in the winter, I usually take it somewhere to have it done unless it's a decent winter day.

Yes, I'm a wuss.....

I have changed oil in the winter, it is in a garage but the floor is pretty darn cold. I figure clean oil is worth taking the time to change it when it is needed, even in winter.

I'll change oil in the cold, it's really not that big of a deal. The only thing I hate is when it's windy out, which just blows droplets of oil all over the place and makes everything a bit of a pain in the butt!

Poor planning this year. It is now mid/late December and 1 vehicle has 6K and the other 7K on the oil. If weekend of 40-50F weather and sunny skies show up, I'll be out there. IIRC, I did OC's on X-mas day the last 2 years.

I travel a lot and really have no place to work on the car so I'll change oil or grease the car anywhere, anytime in any weather if I feel it needs it.

I recently spent a few days rebuilding the front and rear suspension under a tarp in the snow and rain. Rolling around in the puddles under the car on a creeper was a lot of fun.LOL.

I just spent half a day in 25 degree weather rolling around underneath it in my apartment parking lot changing rear end lube and greasing everything. As far as oil. I've changed it on a dirt road out in the middle of nowhere before.

All you need is a small drain pan and a few basic tools to maintain a car anywhere.

I follow an 6 month OCI, November, and May. No way am I changing oil when its 10 outside even in the unheated garage its too cold....

I must be getting lazy. I'm due for an OC, have the garage and portable heat if I want to use it, and have been finding excuses not to change my oil. Now if we get the snow were're supposed to get that will put the December OCI into January.
frown.gif

I converted an automatic to a manual on a driveway durring a blizzard last january.

I change my oil even if its -20f, for fun.

2 weeks ago we got a cold front, high of -8f. I did my timing belt, outside.

Year round always, but I try to time it so that I don't have to do it during the coldest months (Jan, Feb...)

Although looks like this time around its actually gonna be right in between
frown.gif

I do one before summer and before winter ^^ . If in winter, I look at weather channel, and pick out the warmer day and change oil that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back