How Lucky Can You Get ?

A Delaware woman won state lottery games twice last month, claiming her $400,000 in winnings in a single day, lottery officials said.
Delaware Lottery said the winner and a friend went to its headquarters Oct. 20 to claim winnings on a $100K Ultimate Cash Instant Game scratch-off ticket she bought at a gas station in Newark, where she lives. On her way home, the woman stopped at a convenience store in Dover to celebrate by buying three Serious Money tickets, one of which was a $300,000 winner, officials said.

I can tell you how lucky you can not get, you can be my dad's old landlord that won 5 mil on a scratch off and the last I knew he blew most of it on poor investments and he just didn't know when to stop, I'd see him down at the corner store scratching off probably $500-1000 at a time worht of $10 and $20 scratchers.
That seems to be the fate of most big lottery winners. They go through the money in 5 years or so. They may have had a good time but the money is all gone.

You would think with $5,000,000 reasonably invested you could live on the income for life. Should be an easy $250,000 per year (at only 5%).

That seems to be the fate of most big lottery winners. They go through the money in 5 years or so. They may have had a good time but the money is all gone.

You would think with $5,000,000 reasonably invested you could live on the income for life. Should be an easy $250,000 per year (at only 5%).
Dude was in his early 50s at the time, if he'd have just put it in the bank and not touched it, he could have rode out comfortably until his death.

We don't have the lottery here in Nevada, but my wife would have me pick up tickets when I was in California. Then a few days after the drawing, she'd ask me how we did. I told her I didn't mind spending 10 bucks or so on tickets, but with the odds so bad, I'd be darned if I was going to waste the time looking up the numbers to see if we won.

In the mid to late 1970's I was enjoying a beer and burger at an old school taproom. The only other patron and I had each bought a scratch off ticket earlier and won nothing. These were the very first scratch off tickets, at least in Pa. The proprietor closed pretty early and offered both of us the last ticket, so he didn't have to lock it up. I nearly said yes, but then declined. The proprietor decided to buy it himself @ $1. It was a $25k winner. About $150k today.

In the mid to late 1970's I was enjoying a beer and burger at an old school taproom. The only other patron and I had each bought a scratch off ticket earlier and won nothing. These were the very first scratch off tickets, at least in Pa. The proprietor closed pretty early and offered both of us the last ticket, so he didn't have to lock it up. I nearly said yes, but then declined. The proprietor decided to buy it himself @ $1. It was a $25k winner. About $150k today.
Most lotteries I know of have rules prohibiting you from buying tickets from your own store.

Most lotteries I know of have rules prohibiting you from buying tickets from your own store.

They likely do. I don't know if that existed back then. I know he got paid. Not a lot of places sold tickets or chances back then and there were no machines. Their only other game then was a daily number. Some played the illegal daily number because it had double the payout amount of the state lottery.

I used to play "Powerball" years ago. I think my largest winning ticket was $2 or $3 whatever the lowest prize was at the time. The odds of me getting hit by a train while crossing the street were better than me winning a significant amount.

Very true. I do not do scratch off tix but I do run a Powerball or a Mega quick pick usually once a week. Odds are a little better overall for Powerball over Mega but end of day they are of course astronomical. But hey, the winner faced those same astronomical odds and won. Why not me? or you? If it isn't going to be me, may it be you!

Not to say I’m unlucky,but after playing for years with no luck I finally won on the fewest numbers. It was the lowest pay out in the history of AZ lottery. It paid $4.00 on a dollar ticket. I have not played since and that was 25 years ago.
Smoky the “lucky”

I rarely get even one number. Seriously. I can't grip how unlucky I am.

On a serious note, with the world as screwed up as it is, I think it is literally a security risk to give anyone as much money as these big lottos are.

Back