How long does an Amsoil EaBP filter last before falling apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 19,000 miles and 2 years on my current oil and filters (purolator full flow, Amsoil EaBP). I am starting to become weary of one or both of the filters coming apart and destroying the engine, but I really don't know if this is a valid concern or not... it just seems within the realm of possibility.

Does anyone know how long the Amsoil filters can SAFELY last in terms of holding together? Or a typical full-flow filter for that matter?

Also I am posting something similar to this on the main oil filter forum; please don't flag this as double posting because I am asking that group of people about the full flow filters.

Thanks!

Ryan

Purolator I would have never installed. I'd bet that one is done.

The Amsoil might still be good, but without taking it off and apart you can't know. What I DO know is that Amsoil warrants their filters for up to one year. I'd change that one out as well, and inspect it to see how it held up, with an eye for future use. Right now you're going completely without data.

I'm curious what oil is in these vehicles? Unless you've done a UOA showing you can safely go beyond 19k on the current fill, you're flirting with engine damage and it's past time to change.

So the Amsoil EaBP is a bypass filter correct?

The Amsoil bypass filters can be used for a long time, basically until they fill up. Some change them when the outside of the filter is cool to the touch, meaning not much oil is flowing through.

No need to change the oil or filters at the same time.

I run my oil in the PSD for 2 clicks of the OLM and the bypass for 4 clicks. The full flow filter gets changed at every OLM interval.

I have been doing UOA from Blackstone every 3,000 miles.... every single time I'm getting nothing but a big thumbs up from them and saying to keep going. I'm using the Amsoil Extended Life 0W-30 oil.

Buddy of mine has a Amsoil BP system and so far has 6 years, 30k miles on a EaBP90, which is the smallest of the bypass filters. UOA is fine. I ran across somebody online that had theirs on for about 8 years and 40k miles, and he is still happy.

Originally Posted by ryaneirich
I have been doing UOA from Blackstone every 3,000 miles.... every single time I'm getting nothing but a big thumbs up from them and saying to keep going. I'm using the Amsoil Extended Life 0W-30 oil.

Obviously this is an experiment.. the cost of the UOAs outweighs the cost of Extended Drains.

To answer your original question, you should probably do a filter cut at 20K (which in turn ends the experiment).

Whups sorry, missed that the Amsoil was a bypass filter...

Glad you're doing UOAs... not surprised the oil is still good to go...have you posted the UOAs?

Yeah for right now it's an experiment.... wanted to see how far I could go with the oil, but it looks like my filters are the first thing to end this first run, not the oil quality. Knowing now how the oil is holding up, I will do far fewer UOA samples on the next go-round... maybe just at 15K and 20K miles or something like that. The car has 260k miles on it, and frankly I'm just doing this to consume less oil (i.e. thinking green), and to not have to change the oil as often.

Yeah for right now it's an experiment.... wanted to see how far I could go with the oil, but it looks like my filters are the first thing to end this first run, not the oil quality. Knowing now how the oil is holding up, I will do far fewer UOA samples on the next go-round... maybe just at 15K and 20K miles or something like that. The car has 260k miles on it, and frankly I'm just doing this to consume less oil (i.e. thinking green), and to not have to change the oil as often.

thumbsup2.gif
Sounds like the experiment is going well -- you could always change out the filters and top off, keep the oil (and UOAs) going....

Yes, why change out oil that is not used up. You pay for the by-pass and the uoa's and then change out good oil, that defeats the purpose of using a by-pass filter system. I know some who have gone 40k miles(on a gas rig) before changing out the oil(because of oil makeup) they could go that far and with a uoa every 7k miles they knew when to change out the oil. They went 20k miles on the oil filters but did not change out the oil till the end of the second 20k miles on the oil.

Rod

I think that's probably a little too often

Originally Posted by rrounds
I know some who have gone 40k miles(on a gas rig) before changing out the oil(because of oil makeup) they could go that far and with a uoa every 7k miles they knew when to change out the oil.

Member on here named "Crusher" has a 2011 Expedition with over 80,000 miles on his Amsoil - 5W-20 I think.... just changes filters and tops off.

True story about Crusher, but I don't know with all that makeup oil you can really call that "88k miles on Amsoil" without having your tongue in your cheek.

Like I've said before, I would consider it "one OCI" or one "whatever" if you change oil and filters, and then pull dipstick samples for testing until either viscosity is out of grade, or TBN is less than 1, or you've had to replace more than 1/4 of the sump capacity (my personal yardstick, nothing more). And I'm pretty sure if you've got a Fram Ultra or other 98.7%+ filter on in tandem with a 2 micron bypass, you can most likely run BOTH of those filters for whatever mileage, until the oil is "used up" as shown by the UOA reports. That may mean the Fram Ultra is on the engine for 30, 50, or maybe even 80K... But that's just me.

OP, considering that the Amsoil BPs are syn media with wire backing, like some others said, it can realistically go until it is "full" and therefore cool to the touch. Sitting submerged in oil for any amount of time is exactly what it was made to do.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back