How it's made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: Delta
What the heck did I just watch. Some sort of PETA propaganda?

Exactly. Many, if not all, of the posters didn't even watch the video. It's a spoof.

Scott

I watched it but without sound.

Me, too. Looked pretty much exactly like what I'd expect for a cured meat.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Check out hot dogs. They say you will never eat one again after seeing how they are made.

100 years ago and before that going back as far as humans ate meat, nothing was wasted and most of it was thinly disguised or not disguised at all.

A hot dog is just a modern, fully disguised version of the same. It probably contains more cuts that you would recognize on your table than what was served in the past, actually. It won't kill you and it's probably good for you. You can get all squeamish about it or you can realize that Jello is made from Cow's hooves, while a hot dog is actually edible meat. Up to you.

Besides, nobody knows how to cook a Beef Heart anymore. Wasting food that an animal gave his life so you could survive and thrive is a much, much greater tragedy and if you're a religious person, a sin if there ever was one. Hot Dogs help modern consumers avoid waste of that animal's precious gift. I see nothing wrong at all with that.

When I was a wippersnapper in Detroit going to a FoMoCo service call in an industrial area I came up behind a semi truck 40' gravel hauler. In the back piled high were cow bones. Makes you realize the industrial scale this happens in so mommy can go to the grocery and get a pack of hamburger. That full truck of bones was maybe for a day or so food in the city?

A hot Dog is a new world refrigerated version of an old world sausage. If this all makes you squeamish don't ever look at what goes into a McDonald's McRib.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
PimTac said:
...nothing was wasted...

Nothing is wasted today either. The skin becomes pork rind snacks. Even the blood is collected to have the plasma separated and used in things like medicines.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
In the back piled high were cow bones. Makes you realize the industrial scale this happens in so mommy can go to the grocery and get a pack of hamburger.

People would never believe the scale involved in mass-produced food items related to chicken, pork, beef, etc. In the US, a 1/2 million pigs are "processed" every day ! There are facilities that do 10-30k each day. Those cute little piglets grow so fast and so large they can barely stand on their own and are turned into pork chops, bacon, sausage etc by the time they're just 6 months old. Chickens ? 20 million per day.

These things can hardly be considered animals anymore. They are "parts".

Gotta go now.... About to put some chicken breasts on the grill !

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike

Exactly. Many, if not all, of the posters didn't even watch the video. It's a spoof.

I don't understand what you mean. What makes you think it's some kind of spoof?

The video clearly shows pork bellies having the skin removed, undergo a curing process, and eventually sliced into bacon. Looks pretty cut and dried to me.

I do realize that some folks have the mistaken assumption that bacon and other meat products grow on trees in magical orchards maintained by Disney. God help these people if they ever had to see the processes leading up to the point where this video started.

The "spoof" part is in the audio.

I'm not surprised to see someone post the real "how it's made" segment, as it certainly looked like something off of that show. The video itself and the real "how it's made" voiceover are good.

The one in the OP is definitely a spoof piece and/or anti-meat propoganda.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

The video clearly shows pork bellies having the skin removed, undergo a curing process, and eventually sliced into bacon. Looks pretty cut and dried to me.

I do realize that some folks have the mistaken assumption that bacon and other meat products grow on trees in magical orchards maintained by Disney. God help these people if they ever had to see the processes leading up to the point where this video started.

I'm not surprised to see someone post the real "how it's made" segment, as it certainly looked like something off of that show. The video itself and the real "how it's made" voiceover are good.

Ahh, okay. That makes sense--I'd watched the video without listening to the audio.

I'll have to go back and rewatch with audio now.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

I cannot believe how many entirely missed the silliness of this!!!!!!! If you watched with no audio then you missed EVERYTHING. It's a joke folks!

Good hot dogs of course should never be compared to Oscar Meyer or Armour or Hygrades.

Hill’s hot dogs from Pendleton Oregon, home of the Roundup are very good. I’ve had Usingers as well. Great hot dogs.

Hebrew National. [/thread]

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Good hot dogs of course should never be compared to Oscar Meyer or Armour or Hygrades.

Hill’s hot dogs from Pendleton Oregon, home of the Roundup are very good. I’ve had Usingers as well. Great hot dogs.

Hebrew National. [/thread]

Kosher, all beef PERFECTION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back