How important is new oil filter to ARX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering how important it is to have a new oil filter for ARX, and how it would affect its cleaning process?

M.

It must be extremely important or it wouldn't be stressed to change it before the clean phase begins. Similarly it should be changed after the clean phase along with the oil.

One would have to be awfully cheap (or lazy) not change the oil filter as instructed, particularly after going to all the trouble to obtain the AutoRX in the first place.

Thats true.

I was just curious as to how it would affect the cleaning phase thats all.

Ive already changed mine and going to put ARX in tomorrow!
grin.gif

M.

I suspect a clean filter filters better and is more effective in gathering up sludge and varnish in the cleaning process.

The fear is that if you have significant sludge in your engine, you could overwhelm a filter and put it in perpetual bypass mode.

Do what I did, try a filter you've never used before, it's only going to be on there for 1500 miles anyway. I tried an ST3980 E-Core on my 01 Malibu, I normally use Purolater "white" filters and just thought I would give the $2.00 E=Core a try. I am suprised at how quiet my 3.1L is at start up with the E-core. I used my same old Havoline 5W-30 and I've only got around 500 miles on this first phase of Auto-RX but so far I'm impressed with the E-Core.

I dont think it will effect anything cleaning-wise. Its just important that the filter doesnt clog when it removes sludge and junk from the engine surfaces.

JMH

Plus,

I think Frank had said in one post that if you've got a bunch of junk already in a used filter, you could end up using up some of the ARX just to attack all of that junk in the filter, and that's less ARX to attack the bad stuff you want cleaned out of your engine.

If Frank didn't say it...sorry for the misquote, but somebody said it on BITOG, and it makes sense to me.

Can one tell if a filter has become clogged?
My engine(truck) still seems really dirty after 2 AutoRX cleanings.

The filter weighs alot. Cut it open and see how much junk is in there.

Did you run a 2000 milke rinse phase between each cleaning cycle?

quote:

Originally posted by Rick20:
The filter weighs alot. Cut it open and see how much junk is in there.

Did you run a 2000 milke rinse phase between each cleaning cycle?

Yeah. I actually cut the last rinse filter open, took a few pics. Maybe I'll post it sometime.

A new filter is important particularly when adding ARX for the cleaning phase, on the back end of an oil change. ARX's cleaning ability is at peak with heat, pressure and flow. A semi blinded oil filter will impedeed flow. And blinding it completely is never a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back