How important is coolant flush/change?

I think you really only need to change out your coolant once during the life of a vehicle, and that's the first coolant change. After that it's part of another job like replacing a radiator, water pump, etc.

Hey I got one of these coolant back flush nozzles. I highly recommend it. You hook it up to your heater hoses one at a time.

Amazon

I keep getting my scheduled drain & fills pushed back because of timing belt changes, coolant plate leak, & radiator replacements. If only my car repairs could align themselves, so they would only occur at the same time I need to change the belt. :)

Actually, now that I think about it, this is kind of convenient. It saves me the time of a d&f.

I think you really only need to change out your coolant once during the life of a vehicle, and that's the first coolant change. After that it's part of another job like replacing a radiator, water pump, etc.

Last edited:
Don't waste your money and simply change out the fluid per the recommended interval.
I would do it.... keep in mind you only change like half of what's actually in the system, so if you wait until it's totally bad, you'll technically still have bad coolant after changing it.

I would do it.... keep in mind you only change like half of what's actually in the system, so if you wait until it's totally bad, you'll technically still have bad coolant after changing it.

You would do what?

My post was suggesting not to test the coolant and to instead just change it per the recommended interval.

Back