How exactly do you install this key drop?

I'm in the process of remodeling a shop. It has cement block walls and I just got new metal doors installed. I was given an after hours key drop for free, and want to install it. I asked my door contractor to install it in one of the doors, but he looked at it for a long while and just scratched his head. After pointing out a few things to me, even I am at a loss on how this thing actually is installed. I don't have pictures of this exact unit, but here is one nearly identical except for the text and color:
Screenshot_20201208-034542_Gallery.jpg

So my initial questions are:
1. Can this be installed into a metal door?
2. If not, can this be mounted into a concrete block wall?
3. If not, I assume I would have to make some sort of exterior box for this to fit into, but again, how?
3. Either way, how do you cut a hole large enough for the outer drop-down door (by the hinge area), yet still have it be waterproof/not have a hole around the box? No matter the place where it will be installed, I cannot picture how this will mount to ANY surface without having a hole much larger than the back piece of the key drop (so that the front piece can close properly).

I'm a visual person to a fault, and I cannot visualize how this can be installed. I can't find anything online of any help either. Any images or videos you all could find would help tremendously. I feel incredibly stupid. I know I'm paying someone to do this for me, and that should include the knowledge on how this works, but this key drop was something I came across after I agreed on this contractor doing the doors, so I can't fault him either.

You will need a sheet metal chute to fit thru the block, the keys go thru the slot into the chute and drop into a box I personally feel the chute should be fairly long, and then end in a box because your basic druggies will try to fish out the envelopes.

Rod

Those are usually surface mounted, not flush mounted. So you would cut a hole in your door/wall that lines up with the hole in the back plate, then screw it to the wall/door and seal around the perimeter with caulk/sealant. On the inside, some places mount a bucket to the wall below the hole to catch the keys that are dropped in so they don't fall on the floor.

And if your door/wall is hollow you will need to make a sleeve out of sheet metal (any HVAC company could do this) to fill it in.

you're missing the actual part for the key drop. The part pictured is for the envelopes to put your keys in and to write on, giving your name, number, etc. That is typically mounted on the wall near the door and the key drop will be separate.

The shop I use has a similar envelope box mounted on a wall near the door and the actual key drop mounted to (in) their metal exterior door.

Is that meant to mount where the mail-chute in a door is? In other words, it replaces the flap for pushing mail through.

door-mail-slot-catbanner.jpg

So surface mount then, not flush mount. I definitely had flush mount in my head, which explains why I couldn't imagine how it would work. I will check tomorrow to see if anything will hit the wall, if there will be a gap when surface mounted, etc. I meant to do it today, but I got way too busy trying to race the sunset while painting the doors and completing another project from a few days ago. Thanks for all of the help and pictures!

Back