how does your used oil smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unforunately, both times I changed my own oil it had a distinct whiff of gasoline...that's supposedly an issue in the Subaru DI engines.
:^(
I don't even idle my FXT very much, the exception being on cold ski mornings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I ordered the klotz 0w 40 esterline racing for the mustang and t/a. Also found a couple quarts of grape gear oil for cheap to try in the t/a.

So I guess my new criteria for oil selection is how good they smell. As good a philosophy as any.

The klotz 0w40 auto racing oil just showed up. It smells like twizzlers. That red licorice.

The klotz 0w40 auto racing oil just showed up.

^^^This is definitely NOT a '4T", or power sports, wet clutch compatible oil??
21.gif

BTW; My brother's '99 Boxster has the most caustic, burnt, acrid smell coming out of it's in trunk, oil fill tube, even AFTER a fresh oil change from regular M1 5W-30, to fresh regular M1 5W-30.
This is probably due to him doing (out of neglect/not caring) 25K+ mile OCIs, under worse than 'severe conditions'.

I am NOT blaming the fine Mobil product for this, but I AM blaming his neglect/indifference, which he WILL eventually pay for. And YES, I did tell him to run at least their EP oils, if not their 0W-40, in order to at least attempt to cover his abuse of this poor car, but of course he will not listen, or care.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

BTW; My brother's '99 Boxster has the most caustic, burnt, acrid smell coming out of it's in trunk, oil fill tube, even AFTER a fresh oil change from regular M1 5W-30, to fresh regular M1 5W-30.
This is probably due to him doing (out of neglect/not caring) 25K+ mile OCIs, under worse than 'severe conditions'.

I am NOT blaming the fine Mobil product for this, but I AM blaming his neglect/indifference, which he WILL eventually pay for. And YES, I did tell him to run at least their EP oils, if not their 0W-40, in order to at least attempt to cover his abuse of this poor car, but of course he will not listen, or care.
frown.gif

Hi, with all due respect I would advise the Boxster Owner to use M1 0W-40 or M1 5W-50 in his vehicle

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The klotz 0w40 auto racing oil just showed up.

^^^This is definitely NOT a '4T", or power sports, wet clutch compatible oil??
21.gif

Its a brand new weight. Esterline racing oil. The 0w40 isn't even shown on their website yet. It has an SL/CF rating.

Its supposed to be 100% ester

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
#BigDaddyEast

Was it serviceable? Boy howdee. I have managed to dig up a paper by a university professor on the efficacy of the formulation, The out take from the study is only for KyLu Oil products, BV (a Dutch company):

Observations and Possible Improvements in Racing Lubricants – An Industry Review
Dr. Richard Stiff PhD, ObGyn (eat al)
Department of Reservoir Engineering , Pettingphysics, Drilling Mechanics and Pyrotechnics
Slippery Rock University, Black Hole (Wax County), PA

This paper will endeavor to provide an anecdotal overview of the racing lubricants industry and some of the basics of how it operates. It is based on observation, input from various supposed experts and conclusions will be drawn based on my own deep experience. It is intended to spur interest in the scholarly pursuit by more quantitative methods of reservoir management and non-artesian release of the various fluids.
Chapter 23 KyLu Oil Products, BV (an operating subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell)
Amsterdam, Netherlands

KyLu attempts to address a broad variety of needs, from desperate to nonchalant, and manufactures a range of products from the standard everyday industrial lubricant formulations right through to the interest of this paper – racing products.

Marketed as a superior enhancement to existing naturally occurring lubricants, KyLu’s premier racing products, named “Be-All” and “End-All”, have many unique, even counterintuitive properties. they are synthetics (manufactured apparently from lonnng chain components) and engineered to provide what the company calls “variable kinetic lubricity” depending on the use interval. While “BeAll” talks a good marketing story it is more conventional in the sense that it has a thinner viscosity when cold rising to a higher viscosity when heated but can fail to penetrate and adhere in extremely high stress races.

“EndAll”, strangely, operates in reverse manner to this which is the secret to the products success. It starts out cold with a certain coefficient of friction - relative high viscosity - advances through a high dynamic kinematic phase to finally climaxing hot at the end of each racing stint with virtually zero viscosity! Cumpletely used up.

Like any racing lubricant it is expected to be changed between stints as there is little to no detergent in the formulation. It is highly effective at keeping equipment within surface operating temperature limits and seems to have outstanding anti-wear properties. Measurements taken between stints indicate that both thrust bearings and end-play characteristics are within the safe range (foreplay was not investigated but..who cares). While valves appear to have no lasting deposits a doctorate level exam post-race is seen as prudent.

While “EndAll” has many legal disclaimers associated with it (the non-guarantees of performance, possible contractual obligations, who calls who the day after the race, etc etc) it is deemed generally safe for use. The products safety data investigation revealed that only one death has been reported due to “EndAll” use. A laboratory worker at an entity called Black-Stones expired after handling a UOA sample the racing team neglected to mark as a biohazard. As yet full guilt is unresolved in court at this time.
Yada
Yada

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. Cheers.

grin.gif

Mine smells like used gasoline engine oil. I waited to post on this thread because I just drained my first GDI vehicle today. Smells pretty much the same as other gas engines I've had. Generally more pungent the longer oil stays in service-but much the same odor.

I have noticed problem vehicles with excess gas dilution of the oil-but haven't noticed that generally.

Diesel crankcase draining smell clearly different (and better IMO).

I think ill take a long road trip so I can hurry my oci up and smell my oil lol. Its the old sn pu.
I'll go out on a limb here and say I bet its gonna smell alot like used oil. = )

Smells strongly of gasoline. Uoa showed minor anounts, flash pt was not seriously depressed. Hyundai sonata '11 gdi turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back