How does Castrol SAF-XO have such a low Brookfield viscosity?

I was at a BMW m/c dealer today to pick up a small part, and saw the C-SAF-XO on the shelf. I picked it up and saw that the label says “Made in USA” on it. Since neither of the Castrol fluids under discussion is marketed in the USA, this caused me to think the fluid therein is neither SAF-XO nor Transmax Axle LongLife, but rather something that BMW NA here substitutes.

Is this a reasonable supposition? Should I assume that BMW NA (the importer) has an equally complete spec to what BMW Germany uses, or is it more likely they use whatever Castrol markets in NA (or some other contract blender)?
I don't think whoever manufactured the oil would put SAF-XO on the bottle if it didn't meet the specs because of possible false advertising lawsuits. Did the bottle say it met the specs? What brand was it?

Guess with 'C' he means 'Castrol'. That said Castrol SAF-XO is Castrol
SAF-XO, meeting the same specs wherever it's made and/or sold.
Same with BMW fluids. E.g. LL-01 is LL-01 regardless of the location.
Of couse they may sell different products on different markets, but
surely not under the same name.

No, no.

To be clear, the product is labeled as a BMW fluid. The fluid or product’s ‘name’ is:
“Final Drive Gear Oil C-SAF-XO SAE 75W-90”

It is reportedly the case that, originally, it was (at least in Europe) Castrol’s SAF-XO gear lube. Since that fluid hasn’t existed for some time, it is clearly not that fluid now, and perhaps it never was in N. America.

Attachments

• C16C73BD-95E8-41D0-B669-A3F59160A8AC.jpeg
    C16C73BD-95E8-41D0-B669-A3F59160A8AC.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 18
No, no.

To be clear, the product is labeled as a BMW fluid. The fluid or product’s ‘name’ is:
“Final Drive Gear Oil C-SAF-XO SAE 75W-90”

It is reportedly the case that, originally, it was (at least in Europe) Castrol’s SAF-XO gear lube. Since that fluid hasn’t existed for some time, it is clearly not that fluid now, and perhaps it never was in N. America.
It must meet the BMW SAF-XO SAE 75W-90 specifications then. Is there any other oil labelled as SAF-XO that doesn't meet the specification? I doubt it.

…except Transmax isn’t marketed (available) in N. America, and the BMW product is Made in USA. So, it seems like it can’t very well be Transmax. That’s why I think “C-SAF-XO” is simply a name, not a specification.

In any event, thanks to all for the input and discussion. I believe I have what I need for the bike now.

Another option is Land Rover LRN7591, which is also SAF-XO. It was very common a few years ago for BMW folks to get this oil at the Land Rover dealer because it was slightly less expensive and available.

Back