How do you run your shop vac?

I then recently saw a U-Tube video where you buy a swimming pool filter sock and stretch it over your filter. I purchased a pack of 5 for $10. It took a bit to pull the sock over the filter but it works great.

Keeps the bulk of the dust away from clogging the regular filter. Much easier to clean too.
I forgot to mention THAT. I also use the sock!!

The dust that blows into my one garage (sideways sliding barn doors, minor gaps, is fine. Almost like dry silt or flour. That’s why I like a bag, but if these filters can be washed it may be worth the try.
Yeah. I corrected my post. I take them out on the grass, bang them there…not on the shop floor…which would be counterproductive…

I have a larger model from HF. Last time I was in there, they have a pre vac thing that attaches to a 5 gallon bucket. It supposedly keeps everything out of the actual vacuum part? I thought about giving it a try, but it looks cumbersome.
IMG_7113.jpeg

I have a larger model from HF. Last time I was in there, they have a pre vac thing that attaches to a 5 gallon bucket. It supposedly keeps everything out of the actual vacuum part? I thought about giving it a try, but it looks cumbersome. View attachment 196686
I use something like that when doing dust collection on my table saw. HD sells one that fits on a bucket and knocks out most of the big sawdust. It helps a lot. I just sit it connected to the dust port on the saw.

For my current question, this doesn’t help. I’m trying to vacuum fine dirt blown in from the outdoors.

I have a small Shop-Vac that uses a flat filter paper around the motor that's held on with a plastic ring. Dump the drum, remove and replace the filter (occasionally).

I have a larger Craftsman vac that uses a cylindrical pleated air filter around the motor. Dump the drum, remove the filter and tamp out the debris and re-install.

The Shop-Vac is easier to maintain.

Back