How do you know when to definitively change a transmission spin on filter

Not sure where you got that from, but that is 100% untrue.

The spin on filter of the Allison 1000 is the filter you change, not the internal filter.

Does Allison or the OEM say you actually have to change it? :unsure:

The Saturn S-Series and some Subarus have a spin-on transmission filter and both of them say not to change it unless it's damaged.

Does Allison or the OEM say you actually have to change it? :unsure:

The Saturn S-Series and some Subarus have a spin-on transmission filter and both of them say not to change it unless it's damaged.
Well the GM Allison is not really an Allison, made by Allison. You can call Allison and ask them...... But it does have change intervals, I do not remeber the interval, but I want to say 15k under severe service, and cleaning the magnet. I may be wrong on miles. I used to change mine between 10 and 15K.

It's been a while since I sold to Allison but when I was visiting years ago I asked one of the engineers I was making a group presentation to about it. He said 25k for the filter under severe service and 50k for normal service. He also said to me that towing, unless the fluid got overheated, was not severe service, there was something about stop and go cycles that determined severe. I replace my fluid and filter about every 30-40k miles and use Transynd. I would defer to whatever Clinebarger told me to do lol.

Back