How do you determine brake bleed order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the crappy Chilton's you find at the public library should be a better guide unless somebody here has a manual for whatever you are working on.

I agree get the chilton it will show you the lay out. its either diagonal or the other way.But chilton will have the answer

Is there a basic way to determine the correct order without a shop manual? I'm guessing not.

Many say that you just start at the wheel furthest away and work your way forward. (i.e. RR, LR, RF, LF)

I was surprised to learn that the correct order for an '05 Civic is LF, RF, RR, LR. This was verified by their electronic shop manual.

Does the ABS make a difference?

[ May 18, 2006, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: V1 ]

Yes ABS does make a difference on some vehicles. My ABS Subaru is LR-RF-RR-LF. The sequence depends on how the abs pump and MS is set up. On cars without abs it usually the longest first to the shortest last.

You would need to look at the whole system to determine where the highest and lowest points are (or direction of flow), relative to each other. Then start bleeding from high to low. It doesn't matter which end point is farther away. The object is to avoid bleeding a lower point in a system before the higher point, otherwise a small amount of older fluid will be pulled from above and trapped in between. If the higher point is already clean, then pulling it downstream is OK. You can make a simple sketch of a reservoir with lines coming out at different levels to prove this for yourself.

In practice, on a system with four (or three) outlets from the MC, you would begin at the end of the line which is connected closest to the pedal. (But with primary and secondary supplies from the reservoir into the MC, effectively paralleling the supply to the secondary bore, there is a chance of trapping fluid between the primary and secondary bore. But the chances are smaller if one starts with the primary, the one closest to the pedal. And there are other considerations which the automaker has accounted for in their service manuals, which could lead to a different bleeding order.) I hope that all made sense.

If I were you, I'd check the shop manual or ask the stealership.

I was astounded to find out that the bleed order on my new Hondas is LF, RF, RR, LR. Basically go around the car in a circle, never would have guessed that. Every other car I've dealt with did a LR,RR,RF,LR type of arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back