How do these pulled NGK spark plugs look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled these NGK spark plugs from a 2001 VW Passat 1.8T with 120k miles.

[URL]http://imgur.com/aCnYpGm&wNu20AA&bqgTFko&pyepAzX[/url]

Do these plugs look like they need to be replaced?

The look relatively fine to me for having around 60k miles on them. Do they appear to indicate anything off about the engine itself?

Would cleaning and regapping then reinstalling these be a bad idea?

Any other insights on spark plug reading?

aCnYpGm.jpg

wNu20AA.jpg

bqgTFko.jpg

pyepAzX.jpg

Going through my first bit of maintenance on the car (got it used) so I can't say for sure which oil it was running. Previous owner had everything done at the dealer. Had a large style VW filter, model: 068-115-561-B. Not sure if that means the dealer also put 502.00 spec oil in there as well.

So the original set was changed at 60K also, it sounds about right for that engine. Don't cheap out on a turbo engine, good enough doesn't cut it.
They have a nasty habit of punishing your wallet for it in a big way.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Change them, your time is worth something too.

+1

Just change them and get on with your life. Modern plugs/engines are good for years. Enjoy life, it ends abruptly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Considering that plugs just cost a few bucks each, you should replace them.

I was about to say the exact same thing. I just bought a set of 4 Autolite Double Platinum plugs for my Fusion from Rock Auto for $13.72 plus $2.99 shipping... minus a $2.00 rebate per plug.

Figuring the rebate, that's $2.18 per plug, shipped. Seems to me it's a safe bet that replacing them is the better choice, if you have to ask if they're still good.

They look pretty bad -- excessive oil consumption (gray ash deposits), fuel-system problems (black deposits), and ignition and other problems (excessive electrode wear). Your engine is in need of repair and tuning.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
They look pretty bad -- excessive oil consumption (gray ash deposits), fuel-system problems (black deposits), and ignition and other problems (excessive electrode wear). Your engine is in need of repair and tuning.

What's the best way to determine what fuel, oil, or ignition components need servicing or replacing?

What kinds of tuning can be done on this car?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

For my personal learning, I would love to hear the science behind those firm conclusions with the limited data at hand. Not meaning to be a rear end. Just want to understand.

How does it drive now that you replaced them?

Any noticeable difference?

They definitely look like they needed to be replaced. Good call!

Nice pics. I thought they looked like Autolites, but Autolites are not made in Japan. I see why plugs can be, depending on the vehicle, hard to remove. In one pic the last 3 threads root radius were filled with rust and carbon.

If this plug is irdium-platinum, it can make up to 200,000 miles. Since you have to buy only 4, may as well get new ones. If you get same as OE, they should be pre gapped for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back