How do the newer *Syn* oils compare these days??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
So I must say I am a little behind the ball these days. I used to follow BITOG daily to read up on all of the cool stuff. I have to admit that I just spent about an hour reading through some of the forum topics, and it is a little bit more work to try to sort through everything than it used to be (just my opinion)

Get to the point...

At one point after hours and hours and this website, I picked my oil and filter combo's and that is what I stuck with. Things have changed a little bit, and I don't have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket to spend on high end Amsoil anymore, and have started shopping name brands at the local store.

One thing that I have noticed is that they keep releasing "new" oils. Castrol Syntec, or Edge, or Edge with Syntec or whatever their marketing department has going on is pretty confusion. Pennzoil Platinum is now Platinum PurePlus, Ultra is Ultra Platinum, all of the QuakerState bottles look the same, and so on.

Where do all of these oils stand these days? who is the top dog of WalMart? When I ask this, I am looking for who's specs are considered to be the best? are they all capable of extended oci? Price seems to range from about $18-30 for jug which makes me ignore the cost. A $30 jug is still less than my old SS Amsoil

Formulas would be a 0w(or)5w20 Syn as well as a 0w(or)5w30 Syn.

PUP
PP
M1
M1EP
QSUD
Edge
Edge Extended
Synpower

Just trying to make sure I'm making good choices.

Thanks

Unfortunately you don't have any cars that need M1 0w40.
That's the current darling around here.
You should sell all of your cars and buy one that needs M1 0w40. I think the Chrysler Hellcat would be good for that.

The misses has an '08 Beetle which uses 5w40 which I'm sure the M1 0w40 would be great, but it currently has T6 in it. Maybe next time around.

Frankly in our fleet you really cannot tell any of the major brands apart. All yield quiet, smooth operation and nearly unlimited engine life.

We just sold a truck a few months ago with well over 500k miles. It ran silently, never leaked or dripped, didn't smoke or use oil, and is still working every day in Michigan...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Frankly in our fleet you really cannot tell any of the major brands apart. All yield quiet, smooth operation and nearly unlimited engine life.

We just sold a truck a few months ago with well over 500k miles. It ran silently, never leaked or dripped, didn't smoke or use oil, and is still working every day in Michigan...

Nice! What kind of truck was taht? What oil was it using?

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Nice! What kind of truck was taht? What oil was it using?

That was an 04 GMC Savana 3500 van with aftermarket PTO driven cleaning equipment fitted by an authorized upfitter when it was brand new. Changed strictly by the OLM, and we ran whatever synthetic was on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back