How Can I Be Certain It’s a Bad Wheel Bearing......

........without replacing both front bearings?

Background -

My 2014 Altima 2.5L suddenly made a low pitched squealing noise as I moved forward from a parking spot three weeks ago. It stopped within one minute and did not repeat itself at higher speeds.

It did it again later in the day. Again, while moving forward and < 25 mph and never while in reverse.

Initially, because the noise seemed to emanate from the right side (as noted from the driver’s seat) my first thought was the alternator belt. In checking it I found it to be in good condition for 97k miles, not glazed and with good tension.

I checked the electric (and very expensive) P/S pump. No leaks and the fluid level was full.

The noise disappeared until last night, when it happened again, this time seemingly from the lower left side. It disappeared after traveling forward about 100 yards and reaching >25 mph.

My experience with brake hardware and wheel bearings going bad is that the sound never really goes away. It might at higher speeds but the sound stays consistently present at lower speeds.

I guess I’ll have to remove the front wheels and have a look. Here’s hoping it’s not the P/S rack.......

Squealing sounds like a brake issue to me. I think you’re on the right track with pulling the wheels for an inspection.

I have 40k miles on the front Centric pads and rotors.

Cycling the a/c compressor on and off, turning the steering wheel from stop to stop, and braking while
Stay tuned.

........without replacing both front bearings?

Background -

My 2014 Altima 2.5L suddenly made a low pitched squealing noise as I moved forward from a parking spot three weeks ago. It stopped within one minute and did not repeat itself at higher speeds.

It did it again later in the day. Again, while moving forward and < 25 mph and never while in reverse.

Initially, because the noise seemed to emanate from the right side (as noted from the driver’s seat) my first thought was the alternator belt. In checking it I found it to be in good condition for 97k miles, not glazed and with good tension.

I checked the electric (and very expensive) P/S pump. No leaks and the fluid level was full.

The noise disappeared until last night, when it happened again, this time seemingly from the lower left side. It disappeared after traveling forward about 100 yards and reaching >25 mph.

My experience with brake hardware and wheel bearings going bad is that the sound never really goes away. It might at higher speeds but the sound stays consistently present at lower speeds.

I guess I’ll have to remove the front wheels and have a look. Here’s hoping it’s not the P/S rack.......

That description has effectively eliminated any bearing issue whatsoever.

I've never had a wheel bearing make nose rolling off from a stop. Like mentioned, I'd pull the wheel at that corner to troubleshoot further. Disassemble, inspect and clean the front brakes being step 2.

I have had bad wheel bearings being a challenge to pinpoint.

Brake issue. Pads are sticking onto the rotor surface and are causing noise?
And it's easy to check and "fix" as well.

I have 40k miles on the front Centric pads and rotors.
Did you do a good job cleaning things up, lubricating everything nicely, and so on ? Have you re-done that maintenance since installing the pads/rotors ?

I did two wheel bearing jobs. One was on a '05 Tacoma 4x4 and the other on '03 Corolla. The Tacoma was obvious and roared on the highway when you turned steering wheel following long sweepers. On the Corolla, no noise while driving. However, both showed movement when the wheel was jacked up and you tried to feel vertical in/out play with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock positions. The Tacoma was easy because you really felt clicking. The Corolla was more difficult and I really had to check tie rod ends and ball joints but at the end, it was the wheel bearing.

My wheel bearing just went out yesturday.

Jacked the truck up, spinning the tire as fast as a can by hand I could tell it was the bearing compaired to the other side. No play just noisey. Just ordered 2 skf hub/bearings from rock auto

UPDATE -

I discovered the problem was (is) the springs on the front left side. Basically, the spring is not returning (releasing) after I stop braking.

I couldn't figure out the problem but a quality brake shop did. They cleaned the hardware and re-lubed.

The pads were showing < 50% wear and the rotors look good.

Unfortunately, Centric won't sell me any hardware unless I buy a new set of pads.

Satin........

I have just under 98k on the car and roughly 40k on the Centric setup.

And to correct my previous post, hardware is available without having to buy pads.
I’ll likely buy a set and hopefully run the brakes another 35k+ miles.

Back