How bad is this...

J35a8 engine with about 150k. I think this might be as a result of a faulty pcv system and/or previous owner neglecting oil changes. Is this bad enough to negatively impact anything? The rocker arm closest to the pcv valve is black and not even just varnished. Which motor oil would you proceed with in a 5w30 flavor?

Attachments

• 98B0C6EF-E288-4A9D-8F12-1376AB8C96F5.jpeg
    98B0C6EF-E288-4A9D-8F12-1376AB8C96F5.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 447
Why do you think it has a faulty PCV?

Valvoline Premium Blue Restore would be interesting to see in this...

The front VC came off due to a leaking gasket.

I believe it may be due to a faulty pcv valve because not too long ago I changed the pcv valve and the old one didn’t have a rattle to it like the new one did when you shake it. I hear it’s supposed have a rattle to it when you shake it not sure how true that is.

I see nothing that would concern me.
Run a good syn every 5k with filter changes.
You should be more worried about coolant and a timing belt service.

Depending on compression readings I'd go with either redline or Valvoline premium blue restore. If compression is low due to sticking rings go with vpbr. If it's okay redline with similar esters would clean up the sludge and varnish. Personally I'd run a conventional oil with rislone for a few hundred miles change oil and filter then do the redline or vpbr cleanup. That engine looks gnarly.

The PCV was probably stuck if it didn't rattle. That may have caused the gasket to fail.

That black cylinder may be running a bit hotter then the others, could just be the way these motors are.

Unless it's running poorly I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to clean it run half a bottle of MMO with Castrol GTX Ultraclean for a week or two, and go for a couple hours of highway driving before draining.

J35a8 engine with about 150k. I think this might be as a result of a faulty pcv system and/or previous owner neglecting oil changes. Is this bad enough to negatively impact anything? The rocker arm closest to the pcv valve is black and not even just varnished. Which motor oil would you proceed with in a 5w30 flavor?
If the PCV was stuck make sure the bottom of the valve cover openings are clear and free flowing to the PCV valve opening, this is common with these Honda engines.
I have had great results with Mobil 1 0w40 at cleaning these up when they are at this point or less, the engines love it.

I have had great results with Mobil 1 0w40 at cleaning these up when they are at this point or less, the engines love it.

Thing is I have some oil weeping at the rear main so would a 0w40 leak more than a 5w30?

A euro 5w40 will clean it up. Just listen for start up rattle. I did that to my truck and I believe it plugged up the filter after 1k. I did a filter swap and all it well after that.

Mobil 1 high mileage or any full synthetic oil and keep oci 3000 miles for 2-3 oil change and if you want used additive used Rislone engine treatment qr100 or high mileage.

Looks better than the one I just worked on:

But yes, it is normal and I don't think any oil will clean this up.

Back