Houston TX to Anchorage, AK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
I think she's going to a prison without walls.

This. There might be 100 single guys in town beating on her door, but they will all small like tuna, be missing teeth, and likely drunk most of the time. Dont get your hopes up.

She wont last a year.

She probably would prefer teaching English in China or South Korea, if she wants some worldly experience.

I have a relative that teaches in Africa. The school has no electricity. No internet. No air conditioning. You carry your water about a mile from a well. She sleeps in a hut with a mosquito net, and eats locally provided food (grains) that cost like 30 cents a day. I have NO idea how she does it, but I would be hating life.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Kira
I think she's going to a prison without walls.

This. There might be 100 single guys in town beating on her door, but they will all small like tuna, be missing teeth, and likely drunk most of the time. Dont get your hopes up.

She wont last a year.

She probably would prefer teaching English in China or South Korea, if she wants some worldly experience.

I have a relative that teaches in Africa. The school has no electricity. No internet. No air conditioning. You carry your water about a mile from a well. She sleeps in a hut with a mosquito net, and eats locally provided food (grains) that cost like 30 cents a day. I have NO idea how she does it, but I would be hating life.

While this place may be relatively isolated and you're kind of stuck there, I don't think it's necessarily that bad. Alaska and the federal government spend a lot of money on these isolated communities. She'll have municipal utilities but no cell phone coverage. Internet is expensive and has low data caps, so I suppose no Netflix.

I dug into the demographics a bit and just have a few thoughts.

The major employer is a fish processing plant. The seasonal workers that they employ are a rough bunch. Teach your daughter to keep her head on a swivel and be aware of her surroundings. If something doesn't feel right, she should have left ten minutes ago. Situational awareness. Have her get with the local PD and ask about when and where it's safe to be out.

I'm assuming you want to keep the Crown Vic because it has sentimental value. From an economic and safety standpoint, it would make more sense to sell it, save a few thousand dollars in shipping costs, and buy a Subaru in Anchorage. I get it though; I shipped a nearly-worthless motorcycle across the country because I wasn't ready to part with it yet.

Anyhow, I wish you and her the best.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Actually Houston to King Cove AK, midway down the Aleutian island chain. My daughter (25) is a school teacher, who wants the adventure of teaching elementary school in Alaska. She has been hired, and will be moving there in August.

Here is the issue. She needs to pack up her very low mileage Ford Crown Vic, using it as a storage container, and ship it to Seattle, or Anchorage, then ferry it out to King Cove. (buying another car won't work for us, thanks).

So, any ideas about this? Tips, any great deals we may not see by surfing the net? Thanks.

I would drive there and make it a nice trip.

Of course the company doesn't want anything in the car due to it getting stolen and claims filed.

+1. Though I cant imagine wanting a CV once there...

We are rethinking shipping the CV. Thanks to all who replied. BITOG members are a great source of knowledge and experience!

gfh77665:

Kindly keep us informed as this adventure progresses.

And the best of luck to you and especially your daughter in this move.

I agree with ditching the Crown and buying something locally. Perhaps a stop in Anchorage to buy a good (inspected) used Subaru would be a better choice.

Regardless, let us know how this works out.

With no offense intended, this is 1,000 times better than any "reality" TV show!

Get on google street view and see what people actually drive!

If you had to buy, I'd get a 4x4 Escape, CRV, or similar cute ute.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Get on google street view and see what people actually drive!

If you had to buy, I'd get a 4x4 Escape, CRV, or similar cute ute.

Heh. It's a two-day and 700-mile ferry ride from the nearest highway in Homer. There's not a lot of googling going on there in King Cove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back