Hot Shots FR3 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a virgin sample of Hot Shots FR3 additive. No real indication of what the magic is on this stuff. Maybe the nano technology is too small( joke) or it's just secret squirrel ingredients that are not part of testing. Anyway enjoy and has anyone used it? Thoughts

Screenshot_20220623-174205_Office.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough nano carbon/diamond/graphene nanotubes buckyballs whatever to shade oil or settle.
3 ingredients in MSDS. 2 are unknown. Has a 496 flashpoint and -49F pour.

Anyone want to guess what esters/diester/estolides/polymer.... are being used?

Too bad that they didn't mix in an HDEO/PCMO additive package.

One would hope it relies on magic otherwise there's not a lot to see here. As for guessing the rest of the contents, well that would indeed be a guess with out a CG, FTIR or some other analysis method.

Perhaps the smell might give away whether there is a squirrel in the bottle or not.

It is an ester additive, similar to Hy-Per Lube ZRA.

It is not a snake oil and the science is sound.

Whether not It is "necessary" or even worth the price is another matter.

The high level of foam reducer (silicon) or a siloxane, scares me.

It seems to be advertised as a friction reducer.

It has about 10% TMP ester (specifically, Nonanoic acid, 1,1′-[2-ethyl-2-[[(1-oxononyl)oxy]methyl]-1,3-propanediyl] ester) and carbon nanoparticles.

The ester here is not the same ester as found in the Hyperlube Zinc Replacement Additive.

However, it has never been proven unequivocally that carbon nanoparticles offer any friction reduction when suspended in an oil carrier.

Last edited:
The high level of foam reducer (silicon) or a siloxane, scares me.

It seems to be advertised as a friction reducer.

However, it has never been proven unequivocally that carbon nanoparticles offer any friction reduction when suspended in an oil carrier.
This is so important. So many things show isolated properties that must never be extrapolated to universal benefit.

This is so important. So many things show isolated properties that must never be extrapolated to universal benefit.
True. We can go back to the Duralube fiasco when they had PTFE particles suspended in a carrier oil.

While "solid" PTFE coatings on low speed, lightly loaded sleeve bearings showed some efficacy, it couldn't be shown to have any advantage in internal combustion engines. It was never proven that any of the PTFE particles would attach themselves to any rotating or sliding surfaces. In fact, filter clogging was noticed in many cases.

About the only useful component in FR3 might be the TMP ester.

One would hope it relies on magic otherwise there's not a lot to see here. As for guessing the rest of the contents, well that would indeed be a guess with out a CG, FTIR or some other analysis method.

Perhaps the smell might give away whether there is a squirrel in the bottle or not.
Funny you mention smell. It has an unusual almost fruity smell.

It did nothing I could tell. Put it in MB diesel because I do love their Everyday Diesel Treatment.
Measurable results = no increase in fuel economy, my main goal.
Seat of the pants = not smoother, didn't rev more freely, didn't start more quickly, though it always cranks right up anyway.

Wanted it to be magic, but didn't do anything tangible for my machine.

I think Esters in engine oils are generally a good thing…they are polar in nature, so the oil film on parts will be better after shut-down.
They tend to have scavenging properties, so maybe they clean deposits or keep surfaces a bit cleaner.
Is the benefit worth the price…honestly, probably not.

I have 10 esters of various viscosities and types; a couple of diesters but mostly POE's. None of them have a fruity smell.

In fact, they all smell what I would describe as, 'fatty.'

I have 10 esters of various viscosities and types; a couple of diesters but mostly POE's. None of them have a fruity smell.

In fact, they all smell what I would describe as, 'fatty.'
Well there are many esters and you're no doubt correct that those used in additive formulation are different. We used a lot in organic synthesis such as the amyl acetate groups along with butanoates and ethanoates. These give various fruits their scents. Also beer.

Here, I found this online:

table-of-esters-and-their-smells.jpg

I have even put fruity esters into formulations as odorants.

I had one formulation requested by a customer who wanted to appeal to female DIY oil changers. It had a 'glorious' Lavender smell.

I had another formulation and the customer wanted it to smell similar to Old Spice. A mixture of three different esters got it close.

Me, I want oil to smell like, well, oil. :D That way, if I have a lot of fuel dilution I can usually smell it.

I say 'usually' because I have had analysis show high fuel dilution and there was no fuel smell whatsoever; and then I have had oils sent to me in which the fuel smell seemed really strong, but the analysis showed little dilution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back