Hot Sauce Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Curious what hot sauce recipes you've found and like best. Thinking about what Ill grow in the garden next year, and a few chili pepper type plants is in my thought process. Already grow a ton of garlic...

A friend has experimented a lot, and he used his crop of Chili, Tobasco and some other kind of pepper to make this:

4F4988B9-B2A4-4A6C-940A-A1163BD01D72-1165-000000F8B77C4092_zps5324eee8.jpg

Just blended it with LOTS of garlic and a little sugar, IIRC.

I don't need something so hot that I can't taste my food... This stuff I showed above is really nice when cold - refreshing and then has a burn. Its not an extreme burn but a little too hot for my taste buds - its just hot enough to start causing the flavor of my food to be distorted.

I don't use hot sauce a lot, but I enjoy it on some things. I do like some spicier foods and can tolerate them pretty well. But Im not trying to make myself or anyone else sweat or cry.

So what recipes and what peppers do you use?

I usually use red Jalapeneos (tough to find), and/or red Serranos. Add some sugar (I use maple syrup), lots of garlic, some apple cider vinegar, and salt. After it comes out of the blender I let it ferment in a closed jar for about a week, blend again with more vinegar (I use Kombucha when I can), strain, and simmer down to whatever consistency is desired. Usually comes out great and not overwhelmingly strong.

All of the hot sauce I make uses ingredients straight from my garden. The problem is, we grow different peppers, onions and other spices each year. I have never written down a recipe and just experiment. Every once in a while someone asks me for a recipe and I cant do it. What makes it even more interesting is the seeds from the previous years peppers will cross pollinate with the current crop and we will get a hot pepper when it should be mild. We have gotten sweet Jalapeños before which are incredible for poppers.
I should make a better effort to write down recipes, but there is a certain formula I follow. As you said; LOTS of garlic and a little sugar, sometimes vinegar and maybe a pinch or two of salt. I am looking forward to the responses.

While not so much a hot sauce, we make hot pepper mustard that is fantastic on a fresh off the grill hot dog or italian sausage.

Normally use habaneros, hungarian wax and sweet banana along with some bell peppers.

We have grown jalokia's in the past and made a hot sauce with them, [censored] that was HOT!

Hot pepper mustard is simple, it has yellow mustard, ground peppers, brown sugar and vinegar and is cooked down.

Love the idea of mint and coriander!!! Might have to buy some fresh chills to try and make that one in the winter! Probably some less hot ones than recommended
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back