Hoping for simple diagnostic solution but probably more complicated!

Decided to post to see what information others might be able to provide who know more about electrical issues than I . So , I have recently received a 2010 Toyota Highlander 3.5 V6 with the 2GR-FE engine that only had 72,000 miles on it , but water pump was leaking , and valve gaskets needed to be replaced . With that said I have discovered that any work on this vehicle requires taking a lot of other items off or removed to perform any task! Long story short I am taking my time and replacing a lot of items such as pulleys, belt, head gaskets and several other things. To do this I had to remove the alternator and move the A/C compressor to the side along with removing the fan and radiator itself. The first thing I did was disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery to avoid any kind of electrical issue however there were times I needed to access the interior of the car which I would then attach the negative cable to the battery post (negative) to then push unlock button on the key to access the inside of the car. I did this several times with no issue, but one day everything was dead so I thought the battery had drained since it is not getting recharged. I removed the battery and hooked up the charger and did a slow charge to the battery. When I hooked it back up , I got a lot (more than normal) sparking when placing the negative cable terminal to the negative post and there was no power anywhere to the car. Prior I could see the instrument panel light up and the doors would unlock when the button on key chain was pushed. I really am not in a position to take the car anywhere to have it looked at right now as I am still waiting on parts and bolts needed for several items being replaced so several parts have been removed from the car while I wait to receive these items (plus I broke a bolt off in the water pump housing so that is a work in progress.) I have looked at the fuses but did not see any blown fuses , but will do a second check just to make sure these old eyes did not miss the obvious. I have been told that it might be a ground issue , but not sure what I am looking for if that is the case and one other person said the starter or starter solenoid could have been affected which I am not sure how as I never tried to start the car or turn the ignition switch at any time . I am trying to view the cables and terminals which look old and tired but I am not seeing any corrosion on either . I know this is long but any thoughts would be appreciated as I am very limited in knowledge and ability when it comes to electrical issues. ( The truth is I started a simple task of just wanting to flush the radiator and replace the thermostat , then I saw the water pump leak and now 2 weeks later with half the engine pulled apart, sitting on jack stands waiting for bolts and other parts I am choosing to replace since I am already here basically...well I am the definition of Rabbit meet hole!!!! It's funny because it so true!

Why are you replacing the head gasket?

When I was 17 I had a 1965 Mustang that burned oil badly. I decided it was the valve stem seals. (What did I know.) But I bought the fancy ones that required some machining. I then thought while I have the heads off why not do the valves. Then why not replace the pistons with high compression pop up pistons. Out came the engine. Then machining the crankshaft seemed reasonable. And replacing the camshaft. And pistons held up in a UPS strike. So I understand how one thing leads to another to another and another.

Donald - Matt probably meant valve cover gaskets.
Having watched many South Main Auto videos, you will need to see if the ignition switch energizes the starter circuit. To see that you will need a wiring diagram, and know where to check for power along the circuit path. So simple on a Youtube video, not so simple in real life.

Why are you replacing the head gasket?

When I was 17 I had a 1965 Mustang that burned oil badly. I decided it was the valve stem seals. (What did I know.) But I bought the fancy ones that required some machining. I then thought while I have the heads off why not do the valves. Then why not replace the pistons with high compression pop up pistons. Out came the engine. Then machining the crankshaft seemed reasonable. And replacing the camshaft. And pistons held up in a UPS strike. So I understand how one thing leads to another to another and another.
I meant valve gasket my bad. I am having to remove the timing chain cover to get access to drill out a broken bolt when removing the water pump so it seems I keep having to remove more things which then draws my attention to well I should go ahead and do this since I have this off!!! LOL!

Donald - Matt probably meant valve cover gaskets.
Having watched many South Main Auto videos, you will need to see if the ignition switch energizes the starter circuit. To see that you will need a wiring diagram, and know where to check for power along the circuit path. So simple on a Youtube video, not so simple in real life.
Thanks so much Danno as that sounds like good advice ...man I was hoping it would be something simple like spray WD-40 on it or something along those repair lines.

You probably blew the main fuse. It's inline to the alternator output. Your alternator stud may have been shorting to ground. This is one of the "big boy" fuses and probably bolts into the fusebox from below.

I had this issue on a 2000 camry. The car started and ran, but NOTHING else worked, and the alternator didn't charge the battery.

Eljefino,

Thanks for the response and I will definitely take a look hopefully this evening if I can get home early enough before it is dark. I am guessing this is one of the long gold color ENGINE COMPARTMENT, fusible link, https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...olution-but-probably-more-complicated.334189/ Wow estimate date of delivery is 12/22 ...well that is a kick in the pants, hopefully I can find it with a better delivery date if that is the issue. I am very thankful for everyone's advice and suggestions as it helps so much when your feeling a little lost on a project that you really want to complete yourself . Thanks again Eljefino and I will try to keep everyone updated to my progress if that is okay!

Back