Hooking up TV to Computer

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've done this many times using a USB - HDMI connection. However, I cannot find the cable I used when doing that in the past. However, I have a cable with HDMI connectors on either end. Can I run a TV from my computer using its HDMI port and connect that to the TV?

A USB-HDMI adapter would only be needed for computers that don't have a HDMI output built in.

Also, DVI or DisplayPort outputs from a computer could be connected to a HDMI TV with a simple passive cable converter. That would not send audio to the TV though. Audio multiplexed in is only in the HDMI standard.

Also, DVI or DisplayPort outputs from a computer could be connected to a HDMI TV with a simple passive cable converter. That would not send audio to the TV though. Audio multiplexed in is only in the HDMI standard.
DisplayPort does carry audio. Are you saying audio gets messed up if you try to use a DP-to-HDMI adapter? Pretty sure I've done this before, but I can't recall for sure now.

I checked out the TV setup and got it working with my laptop. Works very well. Thank you all.

DisplayPort does carry audio. Are you saying audio gets messed up if you try to use a DP-to-HDMI adapter? Pretty sure I've done this before, but I can't recall for sure now.
Yep, my MacPro screen had audio, and it was carried over DisplayPort and the Startech DP to HDMI adapter cables indicate that they support Audio as well:
Startech said:
This adapter allows for audio pass-through if supported by the video source. Please review the video source manual to confirm support.

A USB-HDMI adapter would only be needed for computers that don't have a HDMI output built in.

I was helping someone with a Mac to get video output to an external monitor. There were a lot of choices, especially with existing double-ended HDMI cables. But every single USB-C to HDMI adapter with a USB-C plug and HDMI port was expensive as heck. Ended up ordering a USB-C to HDMI cable for maybe $10 and it worked perfectly.

Back