Honda Type 2 coolant change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recommended coolant change interval for '01-'02 Accords is 120k miles/10yrs, then every 60k/5yrs after the first change. For the older '98-'00 it was 45k/3yrs, then every 30k/2yrs from then on.

It's my understanding that the new Honda Type 2 coolant (which came out in '01?) is supposed to last a really long time, but 120k miles/10yrs?

What can I do to make the coolant last that long? The car sees frequent Autocross duty, but I doubt it has *that* much of an effect on coolant life (engine really doesn't get that hot on a 60+sec run, the transmission does).

Right now at 32k miles over 3.5yrs, my coolant is still very new/green in appearance and sweet tasting...

...just kidding on the taste part
wink.gif

So, what do you think? Perhaps I should just do it every 60k miles/4 years?

Honda must have a lot of confidence in their "Type 2" brew. But, I tend to be conservative by nature. If it were me, 3-4 years would be all I'd care to leave any coolant inside the system before changing out just as a matter of prophylaxis - leastways until other engine manufacturers' experience leads them to recommend like intervals with their OAT and HOAT brews, too. Even if the stuff retails at dealership parts department for ~$20.00/gallon, at worst it amortizes to $6.66 per year for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back