Honda stealership tried to upsell during airbag recall visit

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Interesting about the tires. Most dealers don't stock tires nor do they have a way to mount them. They can balance them but not mount or dismount.

All my local dealers sell tires. I get tire coupons from my local: Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota dealers... basically every brand I've dealt with in the past decade.

Caddie and Corvette sellers have to have the latest road force balancers.

And yes all of them mount and dismount.

Oh and the local tire shops hardly stock any tires, either. But they can get anything in 2-3 hours .. just like the dealers.

My wife's X1 has a Takata airbag that will be replaced on Tuesday. I'll see if any more "issues" are found, but that has never been that dealer's practice.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Interesting about the tires. Most dealers don't stock tires nor do they have a way to mount them. They can balance them but not mount or dismount.

All my local dealers sell tires. I get tire coupons from my local: Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota dealers... basically every brand I've dealt with in the past decade.

Same here, and the dealers have really worked hard to have good pricing on tires. Twenty years ago, I never considered a dealer for a tire. Now, that's where I've gone.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Huh? Every dealer I've ever visited has had a tire machine. They generally don't stock tires, because the price changes frequently, but they can usually have what you want same or next day. My Chrysler dealer sells tons of tires, but they don't stock them for this reason.

I was just at the Honda dealer today, for a minivan seat latch recall of all things.

Interestingly, they had a Michelin Pilot Sport 4 brochure conspicuously on the cashier's desk. Of all tires to have listed at a Honda dealer. But they, as every other dealer I've dealt with, absolutely has tires and a tire machine.

It was interesting to listen to the folks in there. Now, I've found Honda wiper squeegees to last shorter than any others out there. And five people in the 30 or so minutes I was there, asked to have wipers done.

I was not upsold anything, including wipers. They did the courtesy inspection and battery test with the recall.

Seems OP brought in a vehicle in need of some work, they told him the obvious, and he's mad.

I'd be upset that they washed the car. But looking and making some recommendations on some obvious things like tires and a cracked light does not seem to me to be unreasonable.

Ford did an inspection on my truck 2 years ago during an airbag recall. Didn't ask them to, but didn't mind. Took that sheet and went to a trusted independent mechanic. Ford wrote I had to replace spark plugs, wires and coil. Wires and plugs were done two years ago and that truck saw maybe 12K miles since. The coil had a hairline crack on it. My mechanic told me it seems to work fine, but he sometimes sees misfires on engines with a slightly cracked coil during rainy days. I had him replace the coil for peace of mind.

The dealer didn't wash the truck. They probably feared that even MORE paint would come off. That thing peels in a way I have never seen before. Our shop's white '07 F150 does the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Broo
Ford did an inspection on my truck 2 years ago during an airbag recall. Didn't ask them to, but didn't mind. Took that sheet and went to a trusted independent mechanic. Ford wrote I had to replace spark plugs, wires and coil. Wires and plugs were done two years ago and that truck saw maybe 12K miles since. The coil had a hairline crack on it. My mechanic told me it seems to work fine, but he sometimes sees misfires on engines with a slightly cracked coil during rainy days. I had him replace the coil for peace of mind.

The dealer didn't wash the truck. They probably feared that even MORE paint would come off. That thing peels in a way I have never seen before. Our shop's white '07 F150 does the same.

We can't wash cars due to the drought we supposedly aren't in anymore, but still get penalized as a company if we do them.

I've worked at a number of dealer stores even way back in the mid 1980s and they ALL had tire machines, and also alignment racks too.
This was in the Northeast.

Took the Mercedes in for a recall inspection (sunroof that turned out I have the good seals). The dealership did an inspection at no cost, washed the car, and didn't try to sell me anything. Just asked that I remember them at service time. MB "stealerships" are commonly criticized for being exorbitant and trying to upsell. I haven't experienced it, but I only go for recalls.
But if I go into a business that sells services I do expect they will try to sell me services. ;)

Back