Honda Snowblower Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fortech
Replaced the oil last night with PP 5w30 - engine sounds great.

Is there anything special I should do since Honda technically recommended a high detergent oil?

Also I have a Honda Mower that's due for a change as well that also requires a 10w30 high detergent oil. How would PP work for this situation?

Thanks...

Don't know why Honda would recommend a HD oil in a snowblower?

"Don't know why Honda would recommend a HD oil in a snowblower?"

Not sure ... but so many North Americans still think that OPE require a non-detergent oil, they may just be putting an exclamation point on the detergent oil recommendation ... because not enough people can take a hint.
33.gif

The recommenation itself is kinda weird. The only type of oil that meets the specification for "high detergency" is a HDEO (which I've been recommending for OPE since BITOG started). Pennzoil Platinum just so happens to have a really stout additive package for dealing with fuel dilution ... but on the bottle I have in front of me, it doesn't really say that explicitly. You'd have to be a BITOGian or possibly have seen the TV commercial that talks about it cleaning up old sludge when you put it in.

I can see why in a lawnmower... considering the dirty operating environment but not a snowblower. Most if not all snowblowers don't even have air filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back