Honda plays catch-up...

That's a big and heavy 765-800 pound outboard for 350HP. While a relic of the past, a similarly powerful 2 stroke weighed 550 pounds, and could, with some tuning, push a race boat to over 175MPH.

I generally prefer outboards over inboards, but when they get that big, why bother.

Hmm, same weight as the 'lightened' second generation Yamaha F350C, but still I'm impressed that Merc can get the weight down in comparable motors.

I am becoming a slow convert to O/B's though....ugly but practical.

That's a big and heavy 765-800 pound outboard for 350HP. While a relic of the past, a similarly powerful 2 stroke weighed 550 pounds, and could, with some tuning, push a race boat to over 175MPH.

I generally prefer outboards over inboards, but when they get that big, why bother.
There was a review in the most recent Boating mag of a 40 foot center console (Blackfin maybe?) that had four Mercs with 400 ponies each. WOT was 68MPH with a medium load for fishing (IIRC half tank of gas at 225 gallons, two 150 pound riders and 100 gallons of water). Gas mileage at optimum cruising speed (35 to 45 MPH) was 0.6MPG.

I always was a fan of two stroke motors, even the old school carbed versions for ideal power to weight ratios. But 4 strokes rule the market for new outboard engines today. Some modern 2 strokes are available, but far less popular than the 4 strokes.

There was a review in the most recent Boating mag of a 40 foot center console (Blackfin maybe?) that had four Mercs with 400 ponies each. WOT was 68MPH with a medium load for fishing (IIRC half tank of gas at 225 gallons, two 150 pound riders and 100 gallons of water). Gas mileage at optimum cruising speed (35 to 45 MPH) was 0.6MPG.

I always was a fan of two stroke motors, even the old school carbed versions for ideal power to weight ratios. But 4 strokes rule the market for new outboard engines today. Some modern 2 strokes are available, but far less popular than the 4 strokes.
You are not far from me! The Jupiter inlet is a great place to view all the latest huge outboard engines.

The Queen Mary got 16 feet to the gallon. It's all relative.

Most of their larger outboards are heavier than the competition, a real disadvantage.

Hmm, same weight as the 'lightened' second generation Yamaha F350C, but still I'm impressed that Merc can get the weight down in comparable motors.

I am becoming a slow convert to O/B's though....ugly but practical.
True but the Yamaha is a larger engine @ 325 cubic inches vs. 302 ci for the Honda.

So for people that enjoy working on their boat and boat engines, are even they becoming converts to outboards?

I am thinking doing any serious work on a huge outboard crammed into a little space will be hard. I/O is much easier if work is needed.

So for people that enjoy working on their boat and boat engines, are even they becoming converts to outboards?

I am thinking doing any serious work on a huge outboard crammed into a little space will be hard. I/O is much easier if work is needed.

The outboard value proposition has really turned around since Mercs latest gen of 4 stroke outboards.

ON ease of maintenance, It really depends on the boat.

My V10 jammed into a space designed for a BBC is really tight and painful.

The outboard value proposition has really turned around since Mercs latest gen of 4 stroke outboards.

ON ease of maintenance, It really depends on the boat.

My V10 jammed into a space designed for a BBC is really tight and painful.
There is maint and is repair. I am sure outboard are designed for easy maint. But easy repair?

BBC being?

There is maint and is repair. I am sure outboard are designed for easy maint. But easy repair?

BBC being?

It seems to me like it all over the place with them, some stuff easy other stuff requires special diagnostic equipment and tools.

BBC - Big Block Chevy. Most of the marine I/O market is based on that platform.

It seems to me like it all over the place with them, some stuff easy other stuff requires special diagnostic equipment and tools.

BBC - Big Block Chevy. Most of the marine I/O market is based on that platform.
Well some I/O on the small block GM 350 (5.7L);and some on big block which I think is 454.

My engine is a 2011/2012 GM 5.7L small block. I bought the Diacom hardware/software for diagnostics. And a small Acer laptop specifically for using the Diacom.

Well some I/O on the small block GM 350 (5.7L);and some on big block which I think is 454.

My engine is a 2011/2012 GM 5.7L small block. I bought the Diacom hardware/software for diagnostics. And a small Acer laptop specifically for using the Diacom.

Sure there are some small blocks, but the majority of inboards are big blocks. 496, 502's 520, 540, 565...

The new Merc small blocks arent gm small blocks anymore they are in house merc.

exactly. Once you get into the big boats if they are serious and not in a just in a hurry they go to a diesel.

Some modern 2 strokes are available, but far less popular than the 4 strokes. Name one. Evinrude was the only "legal" 2 stroke and they folded quite some time back.

Back