Honda Oil Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
very old test, from 2001. probably still valid for some filters, like fram. but it shows the napa gold with a black adbv, probably nitrile before the silicone switch

Still an eye opener concerning the Filtech "fuzzy" media. I'd like to think that has changed for the better since I use Filtechs exclusively.

tarboroheel1- I think the POH 305 and the new filter are very close in size, I remember putting them together, not much difference.

I use the Honda OEM PCX 004 filter, made in Japan by Toyo Roki, on our 02 Accord V6. A very good filter, only a few dollars more, worth it to me for the 6-7,500 mile OCI we do.

In North America, Honda oil filters are made by both Fram (Honeywell) and Filtech (owned by Toyo Roki). In Japan, Honda oil filters are made by Toyo Roki and Tennex.

Some people who have cut open the Filtech filters say that the media actually looks worse that Frams (aka "fuzzy" media).

By the way, they use the same filters on their Acura models as well. I took my Acura into the dealer exclusively for oil changes (3750 mi OCIs) for the first 100k miles (no place to change the oil myself back then)... never had any problems with the OEM filters and Castrol GTX.

Also, no one should feel "cheated" because Honda uses Fram oil filters. Fram filters meet minimum reqs. With regular oil and filter changes, I doubt that you'd ever have any problems with these filters.

Are there less expensive oil filters that will work as well (or even better)? Yes.

I'm glad to see Honda is making their own filter media, other automakers should follow
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back