Honda Oil Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that Honda oil filters are made by Fram. I would never buy a Fram filter as I know their are better ones available. But my question is this. Is the Honda filter made by Fram just a regular cheapo Fram filter or is it made to a higher specification for Honda? Or put another way. Does Honda just buy the cheapest filter they can get or does it have to meet a certain standard? Thanks.

"Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there."
-- some study, link is posted in the other Fram thread

Don't like 'em, won't sell 'em, wouldn't use on my own vehicle. None of this means they're not fully capable of meeting OEM minimum requirements. As long as they meet min reqs and have LOWEST BID they should (and did) get the contract!

The Fram produced, Honda OEM filter is essentially a Fram Tough Guard design. It has a Silicon ADBV with the screen over the bypass valve for extra protection.

However, it uses a different, Honda supplied filter element as opposed to using the one normally found in the Tough Guard.

HokieRich1, I wish I would have NOT used Honda filters for the first 30k of my Civic's life. I feel I've let it down. I know they were Fram's, just didn't know they were so bad until I began reading this forum. Go with Wix or Denso.

Mr Magoo

If I let the dealer do the oil changes they will give me a FREE extended powertrain warranty. From 36k to 100k.

My local Honda dealer where we bought our cars offers that...service your engine/transmission and it's a lifetime warranty. Can you imagine how much that costs over the life of a properly maintained Honda that you keep forever?

If the Honda filter is made by Filtech it's not a Fram. I always seek out the Filtechs when buying....usually 6 or more at a time.

MW wrote:
quote:

The Fram produced, Honda OEM filter is essentially a Fram Tough Guard design. It has a Silicon ADBV with the screen over the bypass valve for extra protection.

However, it uses a different, Honda supplied filter element as opposed to using the one normally found in the Tough Guard.

Mike - Good info - where did you get this scoop? Got pix?

OEM on the two last Honda's I bought new were Filtech. The Honda Stealership had none of the Filtech variety (I looked!), so, I used PureONE.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
My local Honda dealer where we bought our cars offers that...service your engine/transmission and it's a lifetime warranty. Can you imagine how much that costs over the life of a properly maintained Honda that you keep forever?

Can you expand on that? If you take it in for oil changes and 30k service intervals, they'll fix it free forever? I guess the catch is you have to pay for whatever they deem necessary?

Am I the only one who sees the obvious dichotomy of Honda, reputed to build very durable and long-lived motors, using cheap-butt filters manufactured by Fram? The only avenues of reconciliation are that either Fram's general design and materials' choices are better than most here are willing to concede, or Honda's supplier negotiators are morons. Also, TC, what is your source for stating that Honda supplies the filtration media to Fram for Honda brand oil filters? I have no problem with the notion that the Fram-produced Honda filters have an enhanced filter paper blend, but since when did Honda, itself, get into the filter paper supply business?

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:

Can you expand on that? If you take it in for oil changes and 30k service intervals, they'll fix it free forever? I guess the catch is you have to pay for whatever they deem necessary?

Correct. If you do all "recommended" services by the book, with the dealer and pay dealer prices for all of it, they will warrant your entire drivetrain for as long as you own the car.
I would suggest those who actually follow this plan to be EXTREMELY organized, saving all receipts by date in order and getting everything in writing. I would imagine if there was so much as a coffee stain over the word "Timing belt replaced" on the invoice, they'd void the whole deal.

The following link has a photo of the Honda filter cut open. It looks just like the tough guard to me, complete with the silicone ADBV, junk bypass valve, cardboard endcaps, and all. The fact that the site ranks the Honda top, however, tells me that they need to change their measures. I would choose all of the others over the Fram-made filters. And at $6? There are a lot of better filters out there for that money.

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1143

I use S/T filters but also buy Hondas when I need to fill-up an online order...the Honda filters say FILTECH on the can, my manual sugguests replacing them every other OCI which is 20k mi.

very old test, from 2001. probably still valid for some filters, like fram. but it shows the napa gold with a black adbv, probably nitrile before the silicone switch

I thought the old Honda filters were made by Nippon. The filters I used to use and can still buy, have the part number 15400-POH-305. I used them on my 2000 Accord and I still use them on my 2000 Civic. These are larger than the new Honda filters with the part number 15400-PLM-001. I found the Nippon filters at drivewire.com and they look identical to the old Honda filters and even have the same part number right on them. Take a look at the link to the Nippon filter that drivewire.com stocks for the 96-00 Civics.
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/A600049906NPN.JPG
So what's the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back