Honda low on oil, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up this used '07 39.5k Honda Accord 4cyl. When I got it home, I noticed it was about 1/4" or maybe more low on the dip stick from the High mark. So I topped it off with 5-20 Mobil 1. It took 3/4 of a quart. I've put about 250 miles on it and I'm down 1/16"-1/8" on the dip stick again. So I topped it off again with the M1 5-20. I haven't changed the oil on it yet... so I have no idea what came in it. It looked clean, but on a Honda that doesn't mean anything. My friends Honda's oil with 8k looked brand-new. I've been under the car and only found a slight slight damp area around the crank pully/oil pan. Very very light damp area. nothing to worry in my book. I looked inside the oil filler cap with a flashlight, it looked very clean. I'm waiting for my magnetic drian plug to show up in the mail and to hit the 40k so I can do my own oil change. Napa Gold & 0w-20 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy. (bottles actually says exceeds 5w-20 requirements.)

One thing I have to check is the PCV valve. What else?

Last edited:
1/4" should be a cup or two, not 3/4 of a qt.
You should to check your oil in the same location [car is leaning the same], and at the same temperature [dead cold is the most repeatable. An overnight wait is not necessary, but is very consistent.
You may have old oil in there, which starts to 'burn' more at 1,500-2,000 miles or more.
Or, there may be nothing wrong at all.
Let it settle and recheck it over the course of a few days.

Let it go low and see if it stays there. For all you know you may have the wrong dipstick. Like mechtech2 says, it shouldn't take 3/4 of a quart to move the stick that little bit.

I'd also check my PCV valve. My Accord uses a little oil when the PCV valve isn't 'rattling'. When I spray it with Gumout or replace it the oil usage stops.

Betting that's it. It had a K&N Air filter in there... tossed that in the rubbish. So the PCV probably needs cleaned out. Should I return my 0-20 and opt for 5-20 until I figur this oil usage out?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd also check my PCV valve. My Accord uses a little oil when the PCV valve isn't 'rattling'. When I spray it with Gumout or replace it the oil usage stops.

Yep, when the pcv valve sticks on this engine it will start to use a bit of oil. The gumout treatment or just replacing the pcv valve will do the trick.

Is it possible to have a clogged PCV valve with only 40K miles ?
54.gif

I highly doubt it is clogged.

Just cleaned it. Good thing I have a All Data Subscription, or I'd still be looking for something in the valve cover lol. Never seen a PCV like that. Anyway, I pulled it, cleaned with carb cleaner. It was pretty dirty. I did the blow check on it; passed. Also removed and cleaned the hose going to it, and it was pretty dirty. Put it all back together and did tested it by pinching the line and listening for a click. It passes the FSM spec. Also checked the B part of the PCV system. Found some oil in those lines also, but they were clean and good to go. Deffinately needed cleaned though. We'll see if it helps. I have a feeling it's got some cheap, bulk oil in it. Starting to get pretty dark now. Or the M1 is losening stuff up. My Magnetic plug is scheduled to show up Mon/Tues. I'll be doing my O.C. that evening.

I'm so eager to get into this car and learn everything about it... It's so much more refined and simpler once you understand it.

Last edited:
My friend has a 2006 accord 4cyl, he had the same thing at around 50K. He changed to 5w30 and all oil mysteries went away.

ha. I did some searching on the net last night. You wouldn't believe the [censored] off people with this issue. I'm returning my 0-20 M1 AFE and picking up a jug of MC 5-20 blend. It's quite a bit thicker than most 5-20's. Going to start with that and see what happens to the oil level.

I cleaned the PCV, never seen one like that before.. yes it was pretty dirty. Seemed to do the trick. Did a 200 mile Hwy trip and didn't burn a drop. Also changed my oil last night with 5w-20 Mobil 1 and a Napa Gold. That oil in there really did need changed when I bought the car. So I should be good now. We shall see!

You bought some MC 5W-20 blend, and then you changed the oil with Mobil 1 5W-20???

I don't get it........

um no. After this intial M1 change i'll be going back to MC.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 Accord SE 4-cylinder, similar miles, and I haven't had your problem, however I recently changed may oil and noticed something that may be related.

The oil change spec is 4.4 US qts w/ filter change. When I changed oil w/ that replacement amount, I was down to the add oil mark on the dipstick. I added remaining 0.6 qts and it was still below full mark by 1/8". If I completely filled, I would add probably 1 qt more than spec. This might have some adverse effect on oil consumption.

Did you notice your dipstick results after your oil change?

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back