Honda Indy Engines: Whats Happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a rumor going around that they started putting SuperTech oil and Purolator tearolator oil filters on, and this is the result.
Just a rumor. (Which I started here.)

Chevy? Only a badge. The engines are designed by Ilmor an English company. Ilmor goes back over 30 years with Chevy as a client.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Chevy? Only a badge. The engines are designed by Ilmor an English company. Ilmor goes back over 30 years with Chevy as a client.

The point was that they are the competition engine's name.

But in F1 they are also doing absolutely the worst as a constuctor and failing to get their cars to the finish, which is why this stunt to allow alonso to race the indy happened at all.

So overall and wordwide, I think a lot of people watching racing are subliminally associate honda as building poor engines. Not good if a big part of the PR purpose of participating in motorsports as a splashy brand is is to sell on monday.

Last edited:
I think Michael Andretti would be happy with 4 out of 5 drivers experiencing engine failures, as long as the 5th driver wins the Indy 500

I watched Carb Day and saw the Honda engine failure there. That one put a hole through the side of the block, judging by the large pool of oil it laid down in the cool-off lane. The commentators talked about it and said that Honda wanted to limit their teams' laps on Carb Day to 40 due to durability concerns, and that all the Indy engines had been built with the same suspect parts from a supplier. I was assuming that meant bad conrods or conrod bolts. But the engine failures in the race didn't result in large amounts of oil dropping out of the engines. They would be running along, then all of a sudden, they would lose a cylinder. Now I would guess broken or dropped valves.

Imagine how Fernando Alonso must feel. He came to Indy to run at the front with a Honda engine and to get a good race finish. Then his Honda engine blows up there, too. He may not want to drive anything with a Honda in it ever again. Or maybe he doesn't really care, since McLaren pays him $40M a year, and he doesn't even drive to full race distance most of the time. In hindsight, he should have done Monaco. Since it's not a power track, and the shortest race on the F1 calendar, he might have finished. Both McLaren drivers dropped out due to crashes, and Alonso actually finished the previous F1 race.

Last edited:

I doubt the Honda engines are designed in Japan. The last I knew, Honda used to design and built their Indy engines at HPD in California. The Chevy Indy engines are built by Ilmor America in Plymouth, MI. Don't know how much design is actually done in England, though.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I doubt the Honda engines are designed in Japan. The last I knew, Honda used to design and built their Indy engines at HPD in California. The Chevy Indy engines are built by Ilmor America in Plymouth, MI. Don't know how much design is actually done in England, though.

Very interesting. Ilmor used to also 'consult' for Honda's Indy engine program. Those guys must really know what they're talking about.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
the qualifing record speed set 22yrs. ago, that's a long time...what happened?

IRL happened.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Racing is about getting across the finish line. Not "durability"

Tell that to Fernando Alonso, Ryan Hunter-Reay, and Charlie Kimball.
19.gif

And Fernando has had plenty of experience with Honda failures. I think he has more Vespa miles at some of the tracks than McLaren Honda miles.

rshawn125: There is word of Mario Ilien consulting with Renault now, since they have problems of their own. Honda is going to have to spend more money in their F1 program and get some outside people going, or their going to become more of a butt of jokes than they are already. If they wind up simply supplying back marker Sauber next year or the year after, that's hardly going to be great marketing.

I watched Carb Day and saw the Honda engine failure there. That one put a hole through the side of the block, judging by the large pool of oil it laid down in the cool-off lane. The commentators talked about it and said that Honda wanted to limit their teams' laps on Carb Day to 40 due to durability concerns, and that all the Indy engines had been built with the same suspect parts from a supplier. I was assuming that meant bad conrods or conrod bolts. But the engine failures in the race didn't result in large amounts of oil dropping out of the engines. They would be running along, then all of a sudden, they would lose a cylinder. Now I would guess broken or dropped valves.

I was guessing valves, based on the very limited clues in videos. I've got to suspect pistons throwing chunks around in there too.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

I was guessing valves, based on the very limited clues in videos. I've got to suspect pistons throwing chunks around in there too.

If valves fail, they can knock holes in pistons, jam up other valves, ruin the turbo on their way out the exhaust, or bend/break the connecting rod which then punches holes in the block. It's a matter of chance how severe the carnage is. If a conrod fails, it punches holes in the block most of the time. Seizure of the conrod bearing will almost saw an engine in half.

I saw a lot of stuff in the durability teardown room at GM.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

IRL happened.

Can you explain how IRL changed this?

I do recall, as a kid, top speeds in the straights were much faster than they are now, but I never knew why.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Honda engine failures are exclusively because 0/5w20.

that's over the top, really? in their race engines too?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

IRL happened.

I do recall, as a kid, top speeds in the straights were much faster than they are now, but I never knew why.

The IRL brought about cheaper, slower, spec car racing. Basically, it seriously dumbed-down the racing.

That's also when I lost interest in what had been the pinnacle of oval racing.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

IRL happened.

The IRL brought about cheaper, slower, spec car racing. Basically, it seriously dumbed-down the racing.

That's also when I lost interest in what had been the pinnacle of oval racing.

Do you watch F1? There's no dumbed down cars winning there...
I thought this years Indy was pretty good. The cars aren't glued together like restrictor plate racing, but no one ran away from the field either. A pass was about the right amount of difficulty too IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back