Honda GCV 160

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to buy a new mower, while I was in also got a new pressure washer with the same engine (Honda GCV 160).

I scored 6 gallons of Q horse power 5W30 syn. ($8.00 each)

Wondering what your thoughts, using this in the Hondas? Factory fill was straight 30 in one and 10W30 in the other.

Thanks
kevin

Originally Posted By: KevinsDMAX
I had to buy a new mower, while I was in also got a new pressure washer with the same engine (Honda GCV 160).

Wondering what your thoughts, using this in the Hondas? Factory fill was straight 30 in one and 10W30 in the other.

Thanks
kevin

What brand of mower and power washer did you buy?

Thanks
kevin

Kevin, this is just my opinion, but I would not. That is a great oil for your 08 Suburban, but I would use the viscosity Honda recommends for the GCV 160, especially where you live.

Per Honda's oil chart for this engine, 5w30 or 10w30 is recommeded for ambient temps between ~10 and 110degF. However under the chart, they do state that "10w30 is recommended for general use". Clear as mud. IMO, today's 5w30 can be used anwhere a 30wt variant is spec'd. I don't really see the point in 10w30 or SAE30 today. Just another opinion, but running a pressure washer on a hot Texas day, I'd want a 15w40 or 5w40 in the sump. Running it even hotter/longer, go with a 15w50, 20w50.

Joel

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Keep an eye on oil level. It gets pretty hot in Texas in August
and you might start using a little oil. Check level each use.

FWIW, I've not seen any drop in level on my GCV190 with PP 10/30. Its not quite as hot in Kansas as it is in Texas though.

I bought a Honda mower a couple of years ago with the GCV160 engine. Broke it in with Pennzoil HD30 dino. Takes about an hour to do the yard, so I changed the oil 6 times (every other use) until it had about 12 hours on it. Took about 4 of those changes before the oil was free of metal debris. Put in a new spark plug after the break-in as well.

Switched to PP 10W30 and have been using that since. Seems to work well. No smoke or oil usage of any kind. I change the oil once in the middle of the season and once at the end. The oil is usually dark but clear.

After using this for the last 2 years, I mixed up a bottle of the Molabrew (3:1 Schaeffer's #132/LC) and started squirting in an ounce of that with each oil change for extra protection. My un-scientific opinion is that the oil is staying cleaner longer now. I think I will run this for the rest of the season and see how it looks when I drain it at the end of the year.

FYI: I'm in North Houston, so this is occurring in 90-100F temps right now. You can see my weather station page at Joggingguy's Weather page if you want to see just how hot it is. It's been in the mid 90's for 18 days straight and we had only 0.98 inches of rain for the entire month of May and none in June so far
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: JoggingGuy

FYI: I'm in North Houston, so this is occurring in 90-100F temps right now. You can see my weather station page at Joggingguy's Weather page if you want to see just how hot it is. It's been in the mid 90's for 18 days straight and we had only 0.98 inches of rain for the entire month of May and none in June so far
shocked2.gif

...and there's still growing grass to cut? You guys must dump $hundreds in water on your lawns.

Thanks all. I think that I will just use 10W30, and save the Q for the Burb.

What brand of Honda powered mower,and washer did you buy?

I went to Sam's. I got a Black Max mower and a Karcher pressure washer for 299 each.

I was scared getting the Black Max, but for 350 I got a mower with a 5 yr free replacement warranty. I just couldn't see spending 600-700 for a top of the line Honda (like I wanted).

I went to Sam's. I got a Black Max mower and a Karcher pressure washer for 299 each.

I was scared getting the Black Max, but for 350 I got a mower with a 5 yr free replacement warranty. I just couldn't see spending 600-700 for a top of the line Honda (like I wanted).

Never heard of Black Max, is it exclusive to Sam's ? Anyway you cant go wrong with the Honda 160cc. I hear ya as far as pricey Hondas, the Honda brand mower I want is 439.00. Or someone could buy a Husqvarna,Craftsman,or Troy-bilt with the same engine for a 130.00-140.00 less

I have been using Motorcraft 10-30 semi syn in both my Honda mower and Subaru powered pressure washer with good results so far. For $2 a quart at WM, it's a bargain for what I use it for.

Tonight I picked up a quart of PP 10W30. It was like 5.49, so I figured it was like 2.75 to change the oil in each. Should do well all growing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back