Honda extends warranty for CR-V and Civic due to engine problems

87 octane is good stuff in the right application. Why ask the government to make everyone pay 15% more for premium just because you want it? Live and let live.

Originally Posted by Kage860
87 octane is good stuff in the right application. Why ask the government to make everyone pay 15% more for premium just because you want it? Live and let live.

Yup, 87 octane is not the problem, lazy engineering is. But there is always someone that believes the government can save them.

So the big bad CAFE (government) standards are to be blamed, here comes the solution, 91 octane mandated by the same government. Yes, fixing one bad regulation by another. Makes total sense lol.

it's the cold engine program, colder for a longer period equals additional dilution, so (as in my case here) starting at -0F or lower dilution becomes excessive, cumulative.

the real danger is excessive fluid in the crankcase, I'll siphon off a qt. then replace with .5qt fresh to keep the level in check during cold months...here's my recent 0/40 Edge uoa if you haven't seen it...

0/40 Edge 8,800mi.

Raising taxes will not prevent from using more gas - - - CAFE standards will one day be looked at for helping to save our planet from total global catastrophe.
Our use of petrol oils across the planet is really insane. Where does it go when we burn it ? Up.................

This is very old science - yet people balk and complain about Gov bodies doing something. If they don't we won't have a habitable planet to drive our cars on.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I knew that engine would be trouble, just as soon as I read the new vehicle sticker that shows both turbo and direct inject.
Glad I shopped elsewhere now. GM will soon face the same thing with that new Equinox engine that has both turbo and direct inject.

Add start stop and cylinder deactivation and you must think they will blow up right off the showroom floor.

Change is hard for some.

Hyundai's had issues of there own with TGDi. The first year Veloster was the main culprit, having significant engine failures. My wife's Santa Fe Sport is also Turbo Direct Injection as are many other Hyundai/Kia products. Luckily, since that Veloster fopa, the companies have covered their bases in this area.

If you recently bought a new or newer Honda CR-V or Civic, you're going to want to listen to this news. Honda is extending the powertrain warranty on more than 1 million cars in the U.S. Specifically, Honda is targeting 2017-2018 CR-Vs and 2016-2018 Civics with the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

Consumer Reports uncovered a memo sent to Honda dealers concerning the news from Honda's manager of auto campaigns and recalls. That memo said that the oil in these engines could be diluted due to software settings or potential hardware failures. A previous report didn't name the Civic's version of the 1.5-liter turbo as a problem yet, but it looks like Honda's internal investigation has found it to suffer from a similar issue as the CR-V's "rising" oil levels.

Last fall, Honda offered a free fix to folks with this engine in their CR-V in 21 cold-weather states, which totaled about 239,000 vehicles. That included new engine and transmission software, an oil change and some air conditioning control unit replacements. The engine software is the key here, as the reason oil levels have been "rising" is due to gasoline that hasn't been vaporized in combustion washing down the cylinders and mixing with the oil.

Of note is the inclusion of the U.S. Civic in this latest news — Honda previously recalled Civics in China, (the 1.5-liter turbo is not exactly the same there as it is here), but it hasn't been officially, previously noted by the company with this problem in the U.S. Honda sent along this statement concerning the extended warranty:

"Abnormal oil dilution remains extremely rare, especially outside of extremely cold weather areas, and there only during said extreme cold. This warranty extension is primarily to provide reassurance to vehicle owners who may be concerned by varying oil levels in these engines, which, in most cases is normal and does not cause engine damage. In extreme and rare cases in the cold weather states, where abnormal oil dilution has occurred prior to a vehicle receiving the software updates, this extension will provide extra time for any undetected engine damage to become apparent and be covered by the warranty."

The memo sent to dealers goes on to say that the problem could ultimately cause the vehicles to experience a lack of power, leading to cylinder misfires and engine noise. Owners who are eligible for this one year of extra warranty should be notified this month. There is no mileage limit on the extended warranty, so you'll have it for all six years instead of the previously standard five years.
If you have one of these engines , the issue can be managed. This is not an engine to own or use if you are the type to just put the key in an go until an issue arises like a lot of the younger generations. The LSPI issue while mostly noted in "cold weather" areas is not exclusive to those places. I have watched and managed it with our 2018 Accord 1.5 TDI engine. It seems if you do a couple simple things you can slow it to a creep and almost eliminate the problem. You simply can not make or wish it away. Manage it? YES. #1 always take a few minutes (we all can spare a few) and allow your TDI to warm up and start out with the ECON feature turned off. Once you off on your way after a few miles of driving, sure you can slip back into the ECON "gas saver" mode. #2 Not a bad idea to use the best gasoline brands if possible. Add a bottle of Chevron's Techron injector cleaner once in a while. Techron has been tested and proven one of the few of these products sold that actually work. Easy to remember if you make a habit of doing it when you do oil changes. #3 Not bad idea to alternate tanks of gas from low, mid to hi range octane if you can. I use Shell / Exxon / Mobile or any long time , trusted name brand fuels who are known to put additives in their gas that help prevent deposit build ups in engines and stop all the nagging fuel system related issues many experience too often from using cheap grade fuel to save a few cents per gallon. #4 Find and use an oil that promotes the fact that they have done the work (R&D) to use the right oil additives to do as much as possible to prevent cases of LSPI in these little turbo engines. CHECK your oil often to see if you have it under control. I would NOT own one of these engines today if the wife had not fell in love with the car before I knew about the LSPI problems. Going to try to make it last to please her. "Happy wife = Happy life is a true fact!" If it all seems too much to keep up with I suggest trading or not owning one of these TDI cars until there is a permanent fix made by the automakers. Oh and you can be sure the automakers will keep saying this LSPI thing is "not a big deal or even an issue except for some areas." NOT exactly the truth.

Find and use an oil that promotes the fact that they have done the work (R&D) to use the right oil additives to do as much as possible to prevent cases of LSPI in these little turbo engines. CHECK your oil often to see if you have it under control. I would NOT own one of these engines today if the wife had not fell in love with the car before I knew about the LSPI problems. Going to try to make it last to please her. "Happy wife = Happy life is a true fact!" If it all seems too much to keep up with I suggest trading or not owning one of these TDI cars until there is a permanent fix made by the automakers. Oh and you can be sure the automakers will keep saying this LSPI thing is "not a big deal or even an issue except for some areas." NOT exactly the truth.
That would be an API SP licensed oil.

There is no evidence that a bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner mitigates the fuel dilution and wear issues in the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine. Honda never claimed the problem is affected by your chosen brand of gasoline either. Honda had to throw a ton of money and new hardware at these engines and even on the recalled engines, the jury is still out.

If you have one of these engines , the issue can be managed. This is not an engine to own or use if you are the type to just put the key in an go until an issue arises like a lot of the younger generations. The LSPI issue while mostly noted in "cold weather" areas is not exclusive to those places. I have watched and managed it with our 2018 Accord 1.5 TDI engine. It seems if you do a couple simple things you can slow it to a creep and almost eliminate the problem. You simply can not make or wish it away. Manage it? YES. #1 always take a few minutes (we all can spare a few) and allow your TDI to warm up and start out with the ECON feature turned off. Once you off on your way after a few miles of driving, sure you can slip back into the ECON "gas saver" mode. #2 Not a bad idea to use the best gasoline brands if possible. Add a bottle of Chevron's Techron injector cleaner once in a while. Techron has been tested and proven one of the few of these products sold that actually work. Easy to remember if you make a habit of doing it when you do oil changes. #3 Not bad idea to alternate tanks of gas from low, mid to hi range octane if you can. I use Shell / Exxon / Mobile or any long time , trusted name brand fuels who are known to put additives in their gas that help prevent deposit build ups in engines and stop all the nagging fuel system related issues many experience too often from using cheap grade fuel to save a few cents per gallon. #4 Find and use an oil that promotes the fact that they have done the work (R&D) to use the right oil additives to do as much as possible to prevent cases of LSPI in these little turbo engines. CHECK your oil often to see if you have it under control. I would NOT own one of these engines today if the wife had not fell in love with the car before I knew about the LSPI problems. Going to try to make it last to please her. "Happy wife = Happy life is a true fact!" If it all seems too much to keep up with I suggest trading or not owning one of these TDI cars until there is a permanent fix made by the automakers. Oh and you can be sure the automakers will keep saying this LSPI thing is "not a big deal or even an issue except for some areas." NOT exactly the truth.
Econ mode is trash anyways.

A lot of this stuff could have been mitigated with better fuel - Honda probably stuck with 87 for US/Canada/China cars and 91-95 for Japanese and European spec models. CAFE and "cost of ownership". To combat knock, Honda probably sprayed more fuel, which results in a intercooling effect to allow the ignition timing to be as aggressive as can be without blowing holes in the pistons.

GM has been vocal about making premium the new regular, like how it is in Europe.

It would be hard to justify to consumers that are buying economy cars like Civic's to buy premium fuel. In Europe fuel and overall cost of ownership of vehicles is significantly higher so it's a extra cost that can be overlooked.

I knew that engine would be trouble, just as soon as I read the new vehicle sticker that shows both turbo and direct inject.
Glad I shopped elsewhere now. GM will soon face the same thing with that new Equinox engine that has both turbo and direct inject.
VW has been doing this for a long time. They will figure it out quickly.

This thread has been dug up since 2019. I have not heard of anyone around my area ever having problems with this engine. The 1.5 Turbo in the Civic has very good acceleration and gas mileage and I would not be afraid to buy a used one. The only problem is they want too much money for a used Honda Civic 2016 and newer. You might as well buy the brand new generation 11 for the base price of $22,700 I believe. You get the warranty and a brand new body style. Again I wouldn't be afraid of the 1.5 Turbo at all and the 40 mpg highway mileage would be nice too.

Back