Honda CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mothers Civic Hybrid with the CVT calls for ATF Z1 fluid. At the dealer the other day, I see they now offer a new fluid for this application (Honda CVT Fluid) The parts dept tells me this has been SOP for 2 years now. Last year, Honda flushed and filled the CVT due to some noise in the unit. They used the ATF Z1 as the manual calls for. I say something dont jive here...Why have a new fluid for this application and then say the older fluid is OK? There must be an issue with the ATF Z1 in the CVT or they would nor retro spec a new fluid??
fence.gif

ATF Z1 wasn't optimal. So, Z1 is OK, but use the 'specific' CVT fluid at your next service.
I am under the impression that CVTs need 'traction fluid', and higher-end oils due to normally higher operating temps. I see the cheap mineral oil highly friction modified Z1 ATF as not optimal.

Honda seems to have a full range of unique fluids: MTF/MTF-II superceded by PrecisionCrafted MTF, PSF, Z1, Dual Pump fluid, VTM-4, and now CVT specific fluid.

And Brake Fluid too, if you buy into that stuff. But DOT3 works fine there.

Yes, use the new CVT specific fluid. It's about $10/qt.
shocked.gif
, but it may improve the durability of the unit.

Yes Honda sees their fluids as a profit center. Nothing wrong with that, other than the fact that IMHO Honda has some learning to do in the fluid dept, but as undummy and The Critic point out the savvy customer can pick and choose the best.

Unfortunately in this case Honda has CVT users over the splintery barrel.

Yes, we do have alot of CVT vibration problem in our local Honda Jazz. The problem are reported to be the CVT start-clutch and now the local dealer has recommended CVTF or HMMF instead of ATF-Z1 to solve this weird vibration problem.

Honda's CVT units have a relatively iffy reliability record, based upon the limited research I've done, enough for me to cross the new Civic Hybrid off my shopping list.

hide.gif

I just haven't heard of many units lasting 150k...a scary thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back