Honda Crv timing chain/actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw on a forum that the timing chains and actuator tend to stretch and break due to clogged screens. Anyone have any issues like this? The forum was started by a "hondamastertech"

hondasuv.com? I know who you are talking about. He believes the chains stretch if the screens for the VTEC actuator solenoids get clogged. Trouble is, I think he's attributing cause and effect instead of coincidence. If the VTEC gets clogged, I don't see how not changing the angle of the cam or not using the other set of intake cams CAUSES the chain to stretch, it doesn't make sense. Sure, it will throw check engine lights and run lousy, but the load on the chain isn't changing. More likely somebody used cheap oil or went too long on oil changes, the screens sludged up, and coincidentally, the inadequate lubrication was wearing the chain and sprockets. Not really "stretching" but they wear to the point that the relationship between the cam and crank has changed significantly.

Edit: Never had a problem with VTEC on my '08, but I never got around to checking the screens. The one on the back of the engine isn't bad, but the other one was under the alternator.

Last edited:
The cam timing has a screen that gets clogged, I'm not sure that's a current problem. Was more common on D/F series Hondas. I have heard of it on a K series like your CRV, but no longer common. Probably less likely due to better oils.

Have seen plenty of K series over 200,000 on original timing. Actually only know of one TSX that had it replaced, on over 10,000 mile OCI's that was over 200,000 when it happened.

That's the last thing I'd worry about on your '14.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
More likely somebody used cheap oil or went too long on oil changes, the screens sludged up, and coincidentally, the inadequate lubrication was wearing the chain and sprockets. Not really "stretching" but they wear to the point that the relationship between the cam and crank has changed significantly.

This is a better guess. The same lubrication habits/failures that resulted in one would result in the other (on any car). It's odd anyone would attribute the chain failure to the VTC system when obviously the lubrication system was neglected.

The vtec solenoid gasket on my 2003 CRV got brittle and started to leak at 165,000 miles. I took out the old gasket and the wire screen covering one of the ports was clean as a whistle. I believe only neglect can cause this screen to clog and cause problems.

I personally feel a lot of timing chain issues stem from a long oci, and no one checking the oil level between them.

Awesome! Thanks guys! I guess I feel more comfortable going by the OLM then. I just thought that the screen was ALWAYS getting clogged.

I think this is applies mostly to the earlier K-series engines. Like the camshaft galling issue...some camshafts were pitting on some earlier engines, but I don't think either problem was very widespread to begin with, and neither is a concern, at least in my opinion, on anything made in the last 8-10 years.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The cam timing has a screen that gets clogged, I'm not sure that's a current problem. Was more common on D/F series Hondas. I have heard of it on a K series like your CRV, but no longer common.

I think this really was a K-series issue. The D- and F- series engines used timing belts and hydraulic timing belt tensioners, so they wouldn't have been subjected to this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back