Honda CRV 2004 ATF Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by thefasterfish
Hello, looking to do a ATF change on a Honda CRV 2004 Automatic Transmission

Should I use the OEM Honda DW1 from the dealer, or would buying the Castrol Multi Import Vehicle ATF work fine.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/CAS0067266

Thank You

I've used both Z-1, DW-1, and Amsoil over the 13 years I've owned my 2005. Still shifts perfectly. Change every 30k.

I've used valvoline, Castrol, and havoline synthetic transmission fluids in Hondas with no issues.

Right now Valvoline Maxlife at walmart is the cheapest at $18 a gallon(4 quarts). I think the castrol $5 sale ended at Advance.

Use Castrol's Full Synthetic ATF instead
smile.gif

Castrol multi or DW1 will work fine. Personally, I use full synthetic in my Ody because I tow a boat occasionally. DW1 did not hold up as well as I had hoped under this condition, but synthetic did.

I would recommend using DW1. I bought a case of it on ebay when they had 20% off. Came out to be less than $6/quart shipped to my house.

Well, ya got DW1, MaxLife and Castrol...
Do 3 services, a week or so apart with each fluid.
Your CR-V will love you for it.

Full transparency, I have used 'em all.
Gonna use MaxLife (cuz I have it) in a 98 Accord this weekend.
Gonna put Idemitsu in wifey's TSX next time...

It's all good.

Last edited:
No.. there is another very suitable option for you since you are in Canuck-land...

Both my Acuras have been on Petro-Can Duradrive syth ATF. they seem quite happy with it

I can not speak for MAxlife
I have used Castrol MV Asian Syth... my TL trans was just screaming... i coudnt get it out fast enough..!!!
OEM fluid is adequate at best... my TL suffered those trans issues of those years..

Look for a PCan distribution center near you and buy it by the case.. = good deal..
They now have both LowVis and standard vis..

something worth considering
J.

https://lubricants.petro-canada.com/en-CA/productoverview/brand/DURADRIVE

Last edited:
Just used MaxLife in my folks (now my) 1998 Accord LX, 80K miles.
Runs like new. Shifts into gear like butter; shifts like butter.

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
oem dw1 only way to go

lol.gif
Yeah OK. Far better out there for the same or less price. Maxlife would be one of those.

Last edited:
nothing wrong with HONDA DW1

First of all it turns black far faster that other brand name ATF's which means it is either not standing up to the heat well or could be causing increased clutch wear over other fluids.
On top of that what you pay for it, you can have a better performing fluid like Maxlife at the same or less cost depending on the price you get it for.

I used DW1 in my MIL's CRV before changing her over to another fluid. The DW1 changes colour within the first 20K - 30K whereas the other fluid does not. Sorry for the price DW1 isn't great at the return you get.

Edit: Oh if you are getting it for free then use it, but change it frequently.

Last edited:
im due for a trans fluid change next week. i will give MAXLIFE a try and see how it is

ive been using oem honda fluid forever and never had any issues ya know so its what i used. this is for my crv and i dont do any towing or anything of the sort either. but i will give it a try

Last edited:
im due for a trans fluid change next week. i will give MAXLIFE a try and see how it is

Do a complete exchange to see the full benefit because the spill/fill on the CRV's doesn't empty out anywhere near the total amount the transmission holds and just doing a Spill/Fill once with Maxlife might not give you the full colour staying red effect if it's mixed with some DW-1.

The easiest way is to drain and fill 3 times with Maxlife with a short drive in-between to get it all flushed out of there. (It's a PITA to do it any other way) Although not the cheapest, it is the easiest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back