Honda brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mechanic refuses to put anything but Honda HD dot3 Fluid in my Honda 2005 CRV...It is all dot 3 What gives?...Charlie

Originally Posted By: ceast
My mechanic refuses to put anything but Honda HD dot3 Fluid in my Honda 2005 CRV...It is all dot 3 What gives?...Charlie

There is some question about whether certain additive differences between 3 and 4 may be hard on seals for cars which specifically call for DOT 3 only. You can use DOT 4 in your car that calls for DOT 3 but it may shorten the life of certain seals is the impression I get. I think your Mechanic is diligent and smart. Use the spec that the car originally called for which is DOT 3 only.

There are some DOT 3/4 fluids out there, but I would only use DOT 3 in a car that calls for it.

Last edited:
I have a mechanic for my Fit who does that same thing -- OEM parts and fluids only. At first i found it irritating but then I realized it was the right thing to do and protected us both.

I've been using Wagner Dot 5.1 brake fluid in my CRV for a number of years without problems. I won't use Dot 5 fluid, which has silicone, but 5.1 is compatible with Dot 3 and 4 and works in the ABS system. So far, so good.

there was a recall on master cylinder issue by Honda and Toyota long while ago. I recall Honda claim owner failed to use "Honda DOT3" fluid. it's funny... I thought DOT3 is not a Honda thing, as DOT is "Department of Transportation" standard so I believe Honda failed on this part. but sorry I dont know if CRv was part of the recall or not. maybe your mechanic is doing the right thing anyhow.
Honda recall

Originally Posted By: ceast

My Honda Accord 2002 V6 says on CAP DOT3 or DOT4

however I put Honda DOT 3...

However next time I do brakes Im going to use Castrol LMA , I hear that is the BEST Brake Fluid.

Also ALL Brake fluid is synthetic so dont look at 1 brake fluid that says synthetic and say oh that must be better.. I have seen people do that. LOL.

However I would use if I were you Castrol LMA.

However the HONDA Brake Fluid is fine.

Interesting as the cap on my hyundai accent is labeled dot 3 or 4 and my dealership sells Pentosin brake fluid and installs if you pay difference. Still valvoline dot 4 is the best keep secret

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Interesting as the cap on my hyundai accent is labeled dot 3 or 4 and my dealership sells Pentosin brake fluid and installs if you pay difference. Still valvoline dot 4 is the best keep secret

What's Valvoline's secret? Can you elaborate further?

Nothing special about Honda DOT 3. I was using Valvoline DOT 4 in my '08 CR-V.

If your mechanic is so insistent, tell him about the Moss-Magnusson act and demand that he supply the Honda brake fluid for free
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Nothing special about Honda DOT 3. I was using Valvoline DOT 4 in my '08 CR-V.

If your mechanic is so insistent, tell him about the Moss-Magnusson act and demand that he supply the Honda brake fluid for free
grin.gif

As you know, this only applies to the MFG demanding to use their specific products. I believe the OP has a non dealer mechanic.

Last edited:
Mechanics are not fluid geniuses.
If they were burned by a supplier and only want to use OE fluids to reduce their liability, so be it. You can always find a new mech.

I prefer freedom of choice and never had a non-OE fluid issue.

As implied, I'd say your mechanic is in CYA mode. I've used non Honda Dot3 fluid on 01 Civic now with over 210k miles and no fluid related issues, all original parts with the exception of pads and shoes.

Honda also said everyone should use Z1 too, which I bought into for ~165k mi. because of Honda's poor AT reliability record, until superseded. Since, gone with MaxLife in two Hondas also with no issues. And turns out Z1 was nothing special, in fact when it came to shear stability it was basically [censored].

As for PSF, used Bardahl H/A and now Prestone PSF for Honda/Acura also with no issues.

But your mechanic is protecting himself in case of a comeback issue. Can't really blame him as it's one variable he can eliminate.

I have used Bardahl and Pyrol P/S Fluid for Honda/Acura and they were fine too but, the Honda Genuine P/S Fluid was still better in the sub zero temps. But, that's it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620

Your saying Valvoline DOT4 is better then Castorl LMA ????

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As implied, I'd say your mechanic is in CYA mode. I've used non Honda Dot3 fluid on 01 Civic now with over 210k miles and no fluid related issues, all original parts with the exception of pads and shoes.

Honda also said everyone should use Z1 too, which I bought into for ~165k mi. because of Honda's poor AT reliability record, until superseded. Since, gone with MaxLife in two Hondas also with no issues. And turns out Z1 was nothing special, in fact when it came to shear stability it was basically [censored].

As for PSF, used Bardahl H/A and now Prestone PSF for Honda/Acura also with no issues.

But your mechanic is protecting himself in case of a comeback issue. Can't really blame him as it's one variable he can eliminate.

You put Max life ATF in your Honda AT ???
Now i take it your Honda pre dates the DW-1 correct?

What did you notice when you went to Max Life in your Trans?

b/c I use DW-1 and frankly getting tired of spending big $ on it.

However I did use Castrol but thats not cheap/

Max Life ATF is only 16$ for a gallon at wallymart... I can do 3 drop and refills with 2 jugs.

However will it shift harder????

My Honda shifts so smooth I cant even feel it.. Now I know some people say that causes more wear on the clutch plates and if you feel the shift it going into gear faster causing less wear on clutch Plate.

however I have had other people tell me the Max Life was smooth like butter also.

So again what did you notice? ( Other then more $ in your wallet )

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: sayjac

You put Max life ATF in your Honda AT ???
Now i take it your Honda pre dates the DW-1 correct?

What did you notice when you went to Max Life in your Trans?

b/c I use DW-1 and frankly getting tired of spending big $ on it.

However I did use Castrol but thats not cheap/

Max Life ATF is only 16$ for a gallon at wallymart... I can do 3 drop and refills with 2 jugs.

However will it shift harder????

My Honda shifts so smooth I cant even feel it.. Now I know some people say that causes more wear on the clutch plates and if you feel the shift it going into gear faster causing less wear on clutch Plate.

however I have had other people tell me the Max Life was smooth like butter also.

So again what did you notice? ( Other then more $ in your wallet )

I personally recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I use it in all my Honda's with no shift issues at all. I use it in my friends 00 Oddy with no issues and we all know how bad those trannys are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back