Homelite generator 4400LR oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used generator with 8HP B&S engine. Cant find a manual for it on line. Oil is drained and I will use an oil from my stash, choices are:

5W30 PYB
5W40 Shell T6
15W40 Shell T3
0W30 GC

Leaning to the 15W40, as oil change will be at 25 hours and synthetic seems a waste

Any thoughts?

15w40 if you're using it semi-regularly, like if you run a taco truck. It'll take the fuel loading.

I'd go with the T6 for emergency use though. 8 hp is heavy to turn over at subzero temps.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Just bought a used generator with 8HP B&S engine. Cant find a manual for it on line. Oil is drained and I will use an oil from my stash, choices are:

5W30 PYB
5W40 Shell T6
15W40 Shell T3
0W30 GC

Leaning to the 15W40, as oil change will be at 25 hours and synthetic seems a waste

Any thoughts?

I have a 11 HP B&S generator and like you it's for emergencies in any season. Per B&S's preferred recommendation I've been using synthetic 5W-30. The 5W makes winter starting easier and the synthetic allows me to run it for many hours in the summer without evaporation of a conventional oil such as a 10W-30. In your case since you're wanting to use an oil you have already in your stash I'd use the 5W-40 T-6. It's the best of both, 5W & synthetic.

Whimsey

15W-40 if the start up temps are warm and below freezing a 5W-40 would be fine and be sure to keep an eye on the oil level.

My thinking says air cooled engine equals full synthetic 0W-30 rings the bell for me.

But I'd make my OCI 50 hours.

Last edited:
Make sure to test run the generator every 3-6 months, and use gas stabilizer. When you test run it, make sure to put on a significant load, and vary the load. This is to exercise both the engine and the generator side. I like to jump around from a 60w light bulb to a shop vac. What tends to kill generators is fuel problems that affect the carb. When I am done with my test I also remove the spark plug and spray engine fogging oil into the cylinder.

^ that's a good idea and it makes the governor work too. Sucks when they gum up and get sticky-- your house gets dim then bright and it sounds like the fridge is prepping for take-off.
lol.gif

General use 5w30 or 10w30 full synthetic if the machine will be in storage for periods of time. 10w30 conventional if your using frequently with normal service intervals, higher operating temperatures 15w40.

Given your location with the potential for both very hot and cold weather, I'd go with the 5w-40 T6. Extend your drain interval to 50 hours if it makes you feel better about the cost. I don't know if you have much experience pull starting OPE with 15w-40 in below freezing weather, but I can tell you that it's not a lot of fun.

In typical BITOG fashion a full range of answers. I think I will use the T6 for year round use. I will likely drain the fuel, and bring it out every few years for a test.

I expect to never really use it, but when the Apocalypse comes, I'll be ready. At least until my gas supply runs out!

Originally Posted by Bluestream
I expect to never really use it, but when the Apocalypse comes, I'll be ready. At least until my gas supply runs out!
If you are worried about the Apocalypse, then you need a Propane fired generator. Propane is extremely stable; gasoline and diesel fuel have a limited shelf life. All joking aside, generators need to be exercised every 3-6 month at minimum.

Totally Agree, longer term I hope to grab a Champion Duel fuel genny. I have 5 full 20lb expired propane tanks in my garden shed
Right now I have a 60L drum with ethanol free premium and I swap that out once per year.

Last edited:
I have the same exact model I received used from my father. What is the oil capacity as I should probably change the oil soon during one of my runs.

I do make sure I use ethanol free gasoline in mine as to not gum up the carburetor during periods of non-use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back